Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 5 months ago

How accurate can I get this gunshot?

Hi

I'm currently working on a piece of writing, although it's a work of fiction I'd like to get the gunshot as close to real as possible. Here are the stats:

Female

5'9

19

120 pounds

Heavy smoker

Heavy drinker

I'm aware that it depends on a lot of things as to what the injuries are and that's why I'm asking if anyone has any person experience or can help me a little.

Rainéy

The internet has health info on it for all writers. Pick an area of the body and start googling.

Gunshot to the arm, that sort of thing.

Gunshot wounds are so widely variable in the nature and severity of the injuries they cause that you can have whatever outcome serves your story best.

But that doesn't mean you can just make it all up. You need to learn enough about handguns to know the type used (not necessarily a make and model) and enough about anatomy of where she was struck to get the damage you write about within the realm of plausibility.

If you are in this character's point of view, of course, she doesn't necessarily know what kind of weapon was used, or her own anatomy.(Although you should know that.) She only knows how it feels physically and emotionally.

Please, please don't make her able to carry on after being shot. While it does happen, typically a bullet wound is so painful the person goes into shock.

• Rainéy5 months agoReport

Thank you :) I'm trying to do as much research as possible. I have way too much time on my hands right now, haha.

Oh I won't do the whole "she gets shot in the chest and immediate gets back up" lol. That's what I wanted to avoid :)

What is the caliber of the pistol or revolver, and is it a Magnum? Where is she shot?

Obviously a .22 is going to do less damage than a .50 Magnum., though a shot directly to the heart with a .22 would be lethal in any case. However, lots of people have survived being shot in the head with a .22, especially if shot in the face.

The location of the gunshot wound is very important, and the resulting pain also varies depending upon location. Being shot in the liver is very painful, being shot in the lung not so much, being shot in the knee is wickedly painful.

Hi.

Yes, I've got quite a lot of "person" experience with 19 year-old, 5 foot 9, heavy smoking, heavy drinking females of around 120 pounds or so so I can handle this one. Anyway, the upshot (Hey! Upshot!) is is that she just points the damn gun at the victim and pulls the trigger. Accuracy is unimportant if she practically sticks it into his (or her, of course) ear prior to the shot. Hope this helped with your disturbing and, frankly, ridiculous question.