Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 months ago

Atheists, what if Christianity dominated the U.S. and public schools taught a Christian curriculum, would you homeschool your kids?

Fundamentalist Christians homeschool their kids for the exact same reason in the secular world that we live in with secularism being taught in public schools.

Favorite Answer

The first amendment to the Constitution of the United States forbids the State from establishing a religion. Schools such as you propose would be struck down by the courts.

And yes, I send my grand kids to a religious school. There they learn to respect other's values and beliefs, and gain a sense of religious morality. They can pick their religion when they are older. Their school is NOT a charter school, but a private school with sound educational and moral values. I'm retired, have a Master's in Education, and couldn't even begin to give them the education they are receiving.

• Archer

Some seem to believe that parents have no impact in the education of their children. I taught my children about many religions, faiths and beliefs as well as the many gods. No, I understand that one makes their own choice and unlike Theists I am not threatened by that which others chose to believe in.

Ironically, many of our "ivy league" universities and colleges started out as Christian institutions.

Maybe.

But it is also possible

that I would explain the difference

between a belief and a fact,

and try to cover all the sciences

that were not being taught.

It is pretty easy to pretend to be a believer,

to get along.

Atheists don't have the worry

of hurting the tender feelings

of some imagined supernatural being

for that little bit of dishonesty.

But having to do that

is not the optimal way to build a mind,

though it is a pretty good way

to explore how believers think.

--

Regards,

John Popelish

Yeah, secularism is for schools that every child can go to no matter what religion.

Religion is for churches, mosques, temples, etc..

~

your life sucks and you understand why...sad

I'm sorry that you are too stupid to understand evolutionary theory, but that is no reason to raise your children to be just as stupid.

yes, since we should be worshiping Odin, not Jesus.

Well then islam, Satanism, Buddhism etc would have to be taught as well.

• Word

So if we lived under a theocracy? Where there is no separation of church and state? Where secularism wasn't accepted?

Then we wouldn't even be allowed to exist in the first place, unlike you professional victims.