Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 5 months ago

Can somebody explain the 6th commandment to me?

I was always told it was you shall not murder. Murder being different to killing someone. Murder being a premeditated act with malicious intent. Whereas killing someone in war, or self defence wasn't necessarily violating the commandment. However I am currently reading Exodus and the wording is clearly "you shall not kill". And I a confused. I have read somewhere that it is a mistranslation from the Hebrew and murder is what was really meant, is that true?

Similarly, I also read you shall not take the lords name in vain was a mistranslation from Hebrew and should read you shall not carry the lords name in vain.

Anybody care to weigh on in any of these?

46 Answers

Relevance
  • BJ
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The original-language words variously rendered “kill,” “murder,” and “slay” refer to the taking of a life, the context or other scriptures determining whether the deliberate and unauthorized or unlawful taking of another person’s life is involved.

For example, in the command, You must not murder Ex 20:13, the Hebrew word for murder” ra·tsachʹ here clearly refers to deliberate and unlawful killing.

But at Numbers 35:27 the same term denotes an act that an avenger of blood was authorized to carry out.

Therefore, the command, “You must not murder,” has to be understood within the framework of the entire Mosaic Law, which authorized the taking of human life under certain circumstances, as in the execution of criminals.

Since the Sixth Commandment merely restated what God had said earlier through Noah to the whole human family, we are still obliged to avoid murdering.

In fact, the closing chapters of the Bible warn us that unrepentant murderers will experience eternal destruction in the “second death.” Rev. 21:8; 22:15

So the rendering “Thou shalt not kill” does not truly convey the real flavor of the Sixth Commandment. It is more properly translated “You must not murder.”

Appreciating this aids us to see that Israel’s righteous wars did not violate that command. And we can better sense its significance as to our conduct and attitude toward taking human life.

• 5 months agoReport

Very good explanation, much appreciated.

• John
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

Its been translated and repeticiously repeated to people as ""thou shalt not kill".

Now write it here in it's orginal form and people can give you their oun version.

• John P
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

The Bible was written in Hebrew (Old Testament) and Greek (New Testament), starting nearly 3,000 years ago. Many translations into most languages used by Christians have been made over the centuries. Many into English in the last 70 years. Never take too literally any of those many translations.

• Truth
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

the sixth commandment comes after the fifth and before the seventh

• 5 months ago

It's true. The Hebrew word that was translated as "kill" in the King James Bible is usually reserved for murder.

I don't know if the second one, about taking the Lord's name in vain, is a mistranslation or not. The King James translators usually did the best they could, and anyway different languages express things differently.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

The 6th is "You shall not commit adultery "

Here is an explanation of the 5th. http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a5.htm

-----------

Once more for the learning-impaired:

I am the LORD your God. You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve.

You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.

Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.

Honor your father and your mother.

You shall not kill.

You shall not commit adultery.

You shall not steal.

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.

You shall not covet your neighbor’s goods.

• 5 months agoReport

It appears to the be the 6th. Call me learning impaired will you. I suggest you practice matching words to numbers, it can be difficult at first, but if you persevere you shall get there. Good luck sir/mam :)

• Otto
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

"You must not murder," - Exodus 20: 13. Is it not clear for you ?

It means also that Christians go not to war.

Source(s): Bible
    • -_-5 months agoReport

So they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.” “That is enough,” He answered. There is a place for self-defense, but it must end. It is not the goal.

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It means that you shall not knowingly and intentionally take a fellow human

Because we are fallible, we interpret that differently.

Usually in self defence there’s no need to,kill.

Warfare and capital punishment are murder by the state

• Paul
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Murder doesn't have to be premeditated. Some drunk in a bar might pull out a knife and stab someone who is harassing him. However, murder, premeditated or not, is an unjustifiable and evil act, which self-defense, defense of others, and defense of country clearly are not. The two passages say the same thing. Also, which Bible translation are you using? The King James version has many mistranslations and other grammatical errors.

• 5 months agoReport

It was the King James version, I have went on a site called bible hub and seen that every other bible translates it as murder. Can you recommend which version of the bible to read with the least translation errors?

• Hogie
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The 10 Commandments are a "condensed" list of the main rights of the king and people ruled, following the pattern of such covenants made between rulers and people at that time and place in the world. A person has a right to life, property, and due process in law. Killing in this context has to do with violating that right to due process, where one is killed without due process of law, usually an act of what we call murder or homicide. Remember, this is a translation from a different language (Hebrew) into English, and translations can be technically accurate, but lacking in nuance.

There are commentaries that you can use to help glean further understanding from these and so much more.

The taking God's name in vain also has its nuances of understanding. Best to look at the commentaries. It comes down to a disrespect, using God's name carelessly, for example.

FYI: This law-set, being a covenant law, means that you are not a legal party to it. It also legally ended. These laws are about NOT performing evil. Christians are called to do good works. The avoidance of doing evil is not doing good.

• Hoppy5 months agoReport

Hogie, STILL waiting your response: is the Sabbath 'sanctified?' It is but you were going to show us how it isn't?!

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

The old testiment is old.

Jesus raised the bar: He said if you are angry with your brother without cause it's the same as murder.

It takes seeing God to know just how fallen we are... good is not the standard.... Holy is the standard that God goes by.

Targetted authorized obliteration of certain people groups at a time when people were barbarians, was strategic, punitive and to destroy evil for this purpose: so that God's name would become known and glorified throughout the world.

How would we know and understand The Almighty if we didn't see His divine hand at work in Israel? We'd be bowing to an unknown god of our own making.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.