Do you boil vegetables until they're mushy?

36 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

No. I do not boil my veggies, I steam them. I like my veggies slightly crunchy, not overcooked.

When vegetables are overcooked, they lose their nutritional value.

I no longer even use butter on my veggies. Instead, I use either flavored salt (lemon) or infused olive oils, herbs or naked.

• Joseph
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

I steam mine, fully cooked and full flavor that way.

• Jane
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Only if I want them to be mushy! For example, to make smooth creamy mashed/pureed vegetables such as potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot, cauliflower etc, or if I'm making soup such as cream of....something.I will also keep the cooking water to make stock for soup, sauces and stews, it adds a lot of flavour and nutrition.

If I want my veg to look colourful and taste fresh and crisp, I stir fry, char grill or steam.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Most times, no. I do steam some vegetables

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

no I grill them till their crisp

• 6 months ago

I steam it slowly. To blanch vegetables, bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil and drop the veggies or greens in. Stir them around a bit.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Nope. That cooks all the nutrition out of them. Use as small an amount of water you can, and if you're going to make soup later on that week (or freeze it in cubes), use that water as the base.

• Jen
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

I prefer to roast. Brings out a sweetness that I love!

• 6 months ago

Certain ones, yes. Winter squash that I am going to mash or whip. Potatoes, same thing. Most everything else, I like a little firmness to them.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

What kind of vegetables?You boil potatoes until they can be mashed.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.