How do you prepare water for emergency storage?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Keep chlorine in the swimming pool.

• james
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You go outside. Move the pump handle up & down. Fill 5 gall. bucket with water. Take inside. Set on counter to store. Cover bucket. Repeat as water is needed.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I have a lot of commercially bottled water, but if I were to do it myself, I'd use tap water and then add a drop of unscented chlorine bleach to it. Also, you can drink the water from the toilet CISTERN (not the bowl, unless you're a dog). Also, in the event of a water stoppage that doesn't require evacuation, there is a LOT of water left in the pipes if you go to the lowest part of your house and open a tap. Also, they make ceramic-disc filters (for use while camping, for instance) that filter out EVERYTHING bad for you, even protozoa. All you do is use a reasonably clean body of water (like a river, but not like a mud puddle) and pump it into cups or a jug.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I actually stock gallons of water from Walmart in my spare closet with canned goods for emergency

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

No preparation needed but how it is stored is critical. The container should be reasonably heavy duty, air tight, and if it is not opaque, kept in the dark. Algae will grow in it if sunlight reaches the water. I put the date on mine and change the water out and disinfect the containers every 3 years or less.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I just settle it down and tell it not to worry.

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

No need. I have a water heater -- 40 gallons of drinking water.

• Robin
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

you put in a brown glass bottle.......never plastic and store it in the dark

• Lolly
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

If you're using tap water from chlorinated water by the city, you don't need to do anything. If not, you add bleach per gallon (see below).

https://extension.psu.edu/how-to-store-water-for-d...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.