Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 months ago

Was Jesus lying when he said the only God was the Father at John 17:3?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Jesus never lies.

• Paul
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

It doesn't say that. It says that the Father is the one true God, and that is absolutely true. And elsewhere in the Bible we read that Jesus, the Son, is the one true God (which He repeated demonstrated during His few years on Earth). And that the Holy Spirit is the one true God. Which is why Christian from day one have accepted the reality of the Trinity.

• 6 months ago

No. St. Paul also taught that only the Father is God in this universe.

• 6 months ago

Come to know the Giver. The ransom does not automatically bring everlasting life to all humans. Rather, Jesus said in prayer to God: “This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.” (John 17:3) If someone told you that a man saved your life when you were yet a child, would you not be interested in learning more about that man and why he saved you? Jehovah God, who gave the lifesaving gift of the ransom, wants you not only to know who he is but also to come into a close relationship with him. “Draw close to God,” the Bible urges, “and he will draw close to you.”​—James 4:8.

Source(s): How Will You Respond to God’s Greatest Gift? https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2017045#h=6:0-...
    • Olive Garden
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

To know YOU, The only true God is God the Father and Jesus. Whom God has sent.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Let's highlight your biblical passage:

John 17:3.

This is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and the one you have sent, Jesus Christ.

So, is Jesus talking about the Father? Is that so? Of course, he is addressing his own Deity as it is in order: Father, Son, Holy Spirit!

Matthew 28:18-20.

18 When Jesus approached them, he spoke to them, saying, "All power has been given to me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore, and make all nations my disciples, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you all days, unto the end of the present age.

For human logic and intelligence, one cannot have baptism done in the name of three things, but of three people, equal and distinct.

In John 30:38, Jesus was lying when he said, are I and the Father one person?

Or do you use the biblical passages as you please?

And then, verse 34 says of the Gods?

To which Gods does he refer? To the pagan ones? Or he is talking about his own Deity! Father, Son, Holy Spirit!

Is it customary to do so who belongs to the Antichrist?

John 10:30-38.

30 Me and the Father are one.

31 The Jews took stones again to stone him.

32 Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many good works from my Father; for which of these do you stonewall me? 33 The Jews said to him, "We stonework you not for a good deed, but for blasphemy; and because you, who are man, make yourself God. 34 Jesus answered them, "It is not written in your law:

I said, "You are gods"?

35 If he calls gods those to whom the word of God has been directed (and Scripture cannot be annulled), 36 how come to him whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world, you say blasphemy, because I said, "I am the Son of God"? 37 If I do not do the works of my Father, do not believe me; 38 but if I do them, even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may know and recognize that the Father is in me and that I am in the Father.

However, you keep your antichrist, we stick to God's word, and no one can change our minds about reality.

In the end, the Antichrist will be rewarded for hell!

• 6 months ago

JESUS IS GOD

1 John 5:7 King James Version (KJV)

7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

John 1:1-2,14 King James Version (KJV)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Source(s): NOTE: and the Word was God.
  • BJ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Absolutely not, because His Father said the same thing.

At Jesus’ baptism a voice from heaven proclaims: “This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.” Matthew 3:17

Whose voice is that? It cannot be Jesus’ own voice; he is right there with John.

That voice is God’s. Clearly, Jesus is God’s Son. He is not God himself.

• Juli
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Well, he sure didn't say jehovah, did he?

• Mayflower
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Amen to that

• Jea
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Jesus didn't lie, Jesus IS a lie.

• 6 months ago

No, he wasn't. The only God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And God the Son came to earth as a man called Jesus.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.