Who was the most difficult person for you to pray for and why?

My husband, during a very difficult time in our marriage when I felt he was stabbing me in the back (emotionally speaking). Up till then, I had been praying for him no trouble, praying that he would put his faith in Christ. We had a good marriage that had been through rocky times but we were the stronger for staying together faithfully. We were not spiritually together but in every other respect I thanked God for our marriage, and that he would be awoken spiritually. Then, after I hit the menopause, I felt as if I had awoken emotionally to the dryness there - the lack of intimacy and expressions of love. I allowed bitterness to creep in (which the Bible expressly warns Christians not to allow to happen). It festered. It grew. It became rooted in my heart and I had stopped praying for him, blaming him for how I now felt.

Well, the Lord warned me, but I pressed on in my self-righteous attitude, and then came near disaster. A heart attack. There were no physical reasons for it. Nothing had ever been amiss physically. Ideal weight all my life, no smoking or drug abuse, no high blood pressure, no lack of exercise - none of the things medics say contribute to heart attacks. It came out of the blue and nearly killed me. But in God's providence (for He was in control of all of this) it taught me a mighty lesson so that I repented of my sinful attitudes and disobedience. My husband took excellent care of me throughout recovery and I then understood the spiritual dimension to what had been happening. No, he would never say he loved me, nor could he meet my emotional needs, but that just did not matter for he was faithful and true - an excellent husband. After I repented I then prayed for him and THEN he began to change, spiritually! Before he died, he had come to faith in Christ, without any pushing, or preaching, or pressure.

For those of you who have answered that prayer does not work - it's useless - well, yes it is when you are praying outside of God's will. God's will is that we repent, forgive others, then pray with faith in His sovereignty, and with thanks-giving. I learned that the hard way, but I thank God that He taught me that lesson.

• ?

someone who seemed like she looked down on me. Then she went through such a sad experience and I found out she had a very sick husband and she was taking care of her elderly mother. I found out later she was a very nice person. Then I did pray for her just sad I did not realize earlier.

A person can live a more loving and virtuous life by reciting the rosary each day with care.

The man who sexually molested me when I was 8.

My father, he is a Jehovah's Witness elder and a pedophile.

I don't waste my time praying to a phony Sky Daddy.

Yes they do alot of times

Praying is not difficult.

Nor useful.

• Juli

Prayer is useless, so I don't do it.

• Cogito

What is the point of praying - even if I did believe in god?

If there's a god, according to you he knows everything, plans every single detail, makes all the right decisions, is perfect, and knows what's best for everyone. Right?

So isn't praying just unnecessary?

Is he going to change his mind if you pray? No - obviously not, as he's already made a perfect plan.

Is he going to give you what you ask for? Again, no, obviously not, as knows what you should have, and has already planned it out.

Is he going to need you to ask for forgiveness because you're sorry for something? No - if you're sorry, he already knows.

Is he going to need you to say thank you for something? No - if you're grateful, he already knows.

So why do it? I've never understood the logic of it.