Can you have multiple accents?

Recently I went to my hair salon. My hairdresser's friend has egocentric and narcissist personality. She says she speaks fluently English and Spanish without no accent. I can hear she does have it. She claims that she can speak English with American accent in America and Spanish with Spanish accent in Mexico. In my mind I was like I can hear she has Spanish accent in English; I know from my Mexican friend who has an accent but she can speak English fluently. this woman claims she is perfect. I told her nicely that she has an accent in English but that doesn't mean she cant speak English fluently. She felt offended when I said the truth to her; however, she is no shame of offending others when she did that to me. It is okay for her to do that to others but when it comes to her she doesn't like it.

There is very little use in contradicting narcissistic braggarts, even when you are right. They won't believe or listen to you, and saying anything might jeopardize your relationship with your hairdresser. Just let it go, and let your judgment of her remain unspoken. You could smile or raise an eyebrow.

Yes, of course. Americans have an accent according to the British or Australians. Mexicans have also an accent according to Argentines or Spaniards. You can also tell your friend that she's extremely ignorant, because she can barely speak two out of 6,000 languages that exist in the world.

• Zirp

Yes, it's perfectly common. Loads of Dutch people speak with one accent (and dialect) with their (former) neighbours while using a different way of speaking in country-wide meetings.

Everybody has at least one accent, per language that they speak

• ?

Some Actors can change their accent temporarily for an acting part.