Gabe
Gabe asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 year ago

Are any animals capable of using sonar in solid objects/ground?

And more sophisticated than just tapping to hear the sound at immediate area like Aye-Ayes do to logs to find larva. Could any conceivably be making a mental image of the soil and contents thereof?

Woodpeckers can probably hear or feel whether the wood it is pecking may be hollow and a tasty grub may be behind the bark.

Nothing subterranean. Nearly all vertebrates underground have a keen sense of smell, moles can smell worms a good distance away. They can hear or feel other animals that might prey on them.

Gophers find vegetation roots with smell, etc.

Inverts like ants rely much on pheromones, not much different than smell, just more complicated, like a communication.

anything is possible

• JimZ

Scorpions for example use the vibration in the prey which goes through the soil. I have read of animals that use vibration to scare earthworms to leave their holes and move to surface. The example you gave with aye ayes are one of the best. I know that woodpeckers can do a similar thing with their knocks but I don't know if it is sonar as much as just detecting a more hollow echo from the pounding.