karen asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 6 months ago

Will the owner of insurance see what I used it on?

I want to use my parents health insurance on a medical item (it will cover the total cost) will they be able to see what I used it on?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

They can find out. They will get an Explanation of Benefits statement from their insurer, which will show the name of the covered patient, the date of treatment, the name of the treating provider, and the breakdown of costs. They may absolutely question the nature of the treatment they are paying for. This is not something covered by HIPAA.

• In
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

A battery operated boyfriend (BOB) is not a covered medical expense.

• Anonymous
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

don't be an idiot. It's not flattering.

• RICK
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes

Every insurance provider sends an explanation of benefits (EOB) to the primary account holder, it lists the providers name, the date and whast was done (like office visit, xray, lab tests)..The diagnosis is coded but anyone can look it up on the internet.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

They will receive an explanation of benefits which will tell them who you saw and the services that were billed.

• Anonymous
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

The explanation of benefits goes to the insured and not the primary account holder. There are laws that prevent that.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

The doctor is going to send a statement to your parents of all the care that he provided and even though there's going to be no charge for the item it'll still list what the item is

• Anonymous
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Why would the doctor send something to the parents? That won't happen unless the person is a minor and the parent is there with them.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

They'll see the provider name and charges, not the item.

• 6 months ago

If you're 16 or older (maybe 18 or older in some states), they'll only see where you used it if they open your mail. EOBs are private unless you're a minor.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

yes, because, the current privacy laws require you to also provide ID with the insurance card and the card holder will get a copy of the bill, with any copays or deductibles on it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.