Do you have sympathy for tax evaders where the government is trying to get it back?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49284171

being paid by an off-shore truest in the form of a loan seems like a bit of a dodge to say the least, would it be any surprise if the tax-man came snooping around after that?

I don't have sympathy for those tax evader ,I think that it's responsibility of everyone to pay tax ,it beats me why so many well-paid actress will be involved in tax evasion ,it doesn't make sense ,if you are average income group ,it's understandable that you don't want to pay tax ,it doesn't make sense that a billionaire will evade tax

"MPs of all parties have warned that could bankrupt some and force others to sell their homes"

That's what happens when one is not a law abiding tax paying subject of the British crown.These people want all the benefits but,don't want to contribute to the UK's general housekeeping.

To commit suicide because one is worried about tax that one hasn't paid but, should have.That's really being out on a limb.

• F

A lot of these people were highly paid well know BBC "employees" who wanted their cake and eat it, so hard to have sympathy. More angry with the government for being so inept in the first place. PAYE and VAT are the only taxes they actually have some idea about how much is due largely because it's hard for most people to avoid. The rest is guess work and they rely on ordinary people who can't employ expensive tax lawyers, to pay up because they are scared of being prosecuted.

what annoys me is that pursue ordinary people and yet do nothing to stop the likes of facebook amazon and google finding ways of not paying any or hardly and tax.. the law should be applied equally for all those who are involved

I live in an off shore low taxation area, so why should I pay my tax to Westminster.

• Joe

Who's gonna protect you from pirates....or the Russians ??

How can they "get back" what they never had?

Show some respect for the English language. Then maybe you'll be taken seriously.

Tax evasion is illegal , tax avoidance is not .

Tax avoidance is a way of life for many people in the UK -- most self employed people "abuse" it .

The problem in this particular case is the element of the retrospective nature of the decision to define this "avoidance" scheme as "evasion" -- and then the subsequent rigidity ,of the authorities, in the time frame in which the "unpaid" tax was demanded to be paid back .

• Ominous Cowherd

"the liability didn't become black and white until examined by the courts" is just another way of describing the retrospective nature of the decision. It's not a crime unless it was defined as such at the time it took place.

• In

St. Kitts/Nevis seems to one of the last tax refuges for the rich. I pay my taxes religiously and I think anyone avoiding taxes should be persecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Actually, a loan from a trust is not taxable income as it is a loan which must be repaid one way or another. E.g. a trust might allow the beneficiary to borrow for education costs, down payment on a house, etc. Although some trusts can be set up so beneficiary cannot borrow.

No sympathy for tax evasion, but that is not same as tax avoidance.

What is at fault is the law, and the inconsistency of the courts in ruling on the matter. Many people are obliged to work freelance whether they like it or not over the past 20 years. They also employed accountants to manage their tax affairs. Now they find they are in lumber seemingly through no fault of their own.