Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 6 months ago

Today's news story, vaccinated stewardess gets measles, dies from brain swelling, my question concerns my hotel stay please read on?

The hotel I have reservations for often has a religious group staying there, they reserve the entire place (it's big). This group is known for not getting measles vaccines. Now I am wary of staying at that hotel and using the pool and other facilities if this group has been there recently, or if some of them frequent this hotel on their own, due to the measles outbreak. I have been vaccinated but apparently it might not matter. Should I cancel the reservation or am I worrying needlessly?

stop panicking ……………..

You are worrying needlessly. You had the needle so your worry is needless.

Many millions of people have had measles in my lifetime.

So one person in Israel has actually died of measles, without having serious health problems already that contributed to the death; and it's in the news. Naturally, because it is the rare and unusual event that makes news, not the common event.

And oh yeah, this is why I always preferred natural immunity acquired through the disease; it lasts for life.

And another thing, this woman who died only got one shot, when you are supposed to get two.

But if you are worried, you can always get vaccinated again, just in case your immunity has worn off.

Has ANYONE come down with measles near that hotel? And the group has been there "sometime" but not currently? Over all, this is still somewhat rare, and the health dept is all over this, so you would know. Personally, you would never know day to day what you have been exposed to, so you cant live in fear. Also, the vaccine is good if you got a second booster, which you may have, or if you had wild measles growing up.

The measles virus can last about two hours airborne or on surfaces, so if any infected person from that group is staying at the hotel when you are I guess it's possible for the virus to spread to others. Maybe you should cancel so you won't be worrying about it for your entire stay, especially since you are paying for the hotel to have a good time. What if you used the sauna after an infected person was just breathing in there before you, or the hot tub?

Because of the "energy" there, i would go in opposite direction

• Rick B

A virus cannot live very long outside of the human host. They certainly cant live on a clean dry surface, in a chlorinated pool, etc.