Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 months ago

Is this an appropriate thing to say to my 28 year old friend who just graduated from law school today.?

I was very happy to hear that you got your law school degree to become a lawyer

• GEEGEE

Yes, it's a lovely sentiment

• Cara

"Great news! Well done!"

It’s OK but if he changes careers and stops practicing then he may think you’ll disapprove. “I’m very proud of you” is enough.

• John P

It sounds like a statement from somebody who is learning English as a foreign language - nothing "wrong", but rather un-natural-sounding.

No, you should only say that to someone who's 27.

Seriously, though, why so formal and wordy? Why not just "Congratulations, Ted! Well done!"? Ted already knows what subject he graduated in, and he also knows better than you do whether he intends to become a lawyer or not.

If I edited it for style, then it wouldn't be you. That sounds fine. What really matters is your heart in congratulating your friend.

it sounds good to me

Your intention was conveyed in a way that made sense to you.

It is but it sounds obvious.

• mokrie

It's worded very clumsy. End the sentence after law school degree. To become a lawyer is not necessary.

Yea that should be fine, A little static though.