Not so much a question as a warning. If you're not going to claim, don't even speak to the insurance company, or it will cost you anyway.?

We had a hairline fracture on our hot water tank, and a small amount of water had leaked onto the floor. After speaking to our home insurance company, I decided it would be better to pay ourselves and not make a claim. We got the tank replaced, dried the floor, and that was that. Now I'm trying to buy a new... show more We had a hairline fracture on our hot water tank, and a small amount of water had leaked onto the floor. After speaking to our home insurance company, I decided it would be better to pay ourselves and not make a claim. We got the tank replaced, dried the floor, and that was that.

Now I'm trying to buy a new insurance policy (from a different provider), and they've told me that because of this "incident in the database", the price will be £50 more than they quoted to me online. £50 extra, because of a minor thing that I didn't even claim for!

So the moral of the story is, if you're not going to claim for something, don't even mention it to your insurer. If you do, they'll record it in a shared database, and every other insurer will use it as an excuse to charge you more.