What kind of valve is this?

It's under my sink. I don't know if it's a shut off valve for the water. I turned it a bit and it didn't do anything but maybe I need to turn it more? I don't want to turn it too far counter-clockwise in case it comes apart, but I really need to shut the water off because of a leak.

It's really great when people who don't understand things, start turning them. Can you afford the possible damage?

• roger

Looks like a type of ball valve. Turn it so that the slot is horizontal See if that turns off the water.

usually, clockwise turns the water off.

• Mitch

Those are cap covers I believe you will find the actual valve behind those

as snezzy says ...vertical slot is on ...horizontal is off

• Snezzy

Thanks for your faith in my knowledge. Everything I say three times is true. Everything I say three times is true. Everything I say three times is true.

• Snezzy

Those look to me like quarter-turn shutoffs. If they work the way I think they do, then this position (|) is "on" and this position (-) is off.