East asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 10 months ago

Guy asked me every single day why I wasn't wearing a coat: OK to treat him as invisible now?

At the gym I go to, I know the regulars. They're nice.

One guy, though, asked me EVERY SINGLE DAY when it was below 60 degrees why I didn't wear a coat. (I walk only one block to the gym.)

Sometimes he'd rush at me, both in the gym and when I'd see him around town, yelling that I wasn't "wearing enough clothes" if it was below 60 degrees and I wasn't wearing a coat.

We're both straight men, in our 40s/50s.

I got so tired of the constant remarks that I stopped even acknowledging him. Now I totally ignore him and walk right past him.

Would you be irked as well?

Thanks.

old question

The minimum length of an answer is 15 characters

Depends on your tolerance for the intellectually delayed (which is probably what's going on with this guy).

he might just be trying to make conversation

I have a feeling this gentleman is developmentally delayed or "special" in some way--he sincerely thinks he is helping you out--probably some rule that was practiced with him over and over---maybe try to change the convo--"Hey-thanks--but I think I will survive the ride home today--and ask him a question..." oftentimes when someone is perseverating on something a simple question can nap them out of it...and they forget what they were concerned with...

He sounds gay but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I would ignore him too.

Given this behaviour has been persistent, you not engaging with this person is the best choice for you.

Hardly. If you were irked from their tendencies yet you seemingly listened, it would come off as false and rude. I would be irked too but I'd also forgive their actions.

Same as before, never okay to pretend your trusted gym instructors are not here.

I wouldn't treat him as if he were invisible I would tell him it is not his business and to leave me alone

• donnie

I really have no idea 60 degrees is not even cold. Maybe he has some kind of issue or is trying to get a reaction out of you.