Boss keeps on saying this company pays good?

I work for government engineer and whenever I go to my boss every now and then he mentions politely you know if you know your stuff then why dont you apply for private. I have alot of people approaching me asking for good engineers and the pay they are willing to pay is $100k over. I just dont get it. I do not... show more I work for government engineer and whenever I go to my boss every now and then he mentions politely you know if you know your stuff then why dont you apply for private. I have alot of people approaching me asking for good engineers and the pay they are willing to pay is $100k over.

I just dont get it. I do not mention money or promtion talk when I go. He just brings it up. I am not looking for other work and I am not looking for promotion. Why would anyone say this? Is he trying to get rid of me?