Boss keeps on saying this company pays good?

I work for government engineer and whenever I go to my boss every now and then he mentions politely you know if you know your stuff then why dont you apply for private. I have alot of people approaching me asking for good engineers and the pay they are willing to pay is $100k over.

I just dont get it. I do not mention money or promtion talk when I go. He just brings it up. I am not looking for other work and I am not looking for promotion. Why would anyone say this? Is he trying to get rid of me?

Just tell him you value the workplace environment over money and you're very happy there. For some people it's hard to get past the idea that chasing cash should be the primary motivation in life.

maybe you need to ask him this question

I hope he actually says the company pays WELL. Paying 'good' would be illiterate, and I'm sure nobody wants to work for an illiterate boss.

He's letting you know you have better options--either he feels your talents are wasted and you could make SO much more money--or maybe he knows there are going to be cuts soon--wouldn't hurt to check things out just in case.

• Cuts as in letting go of people and he is hinting that I might be next?

Just sounds like you get easily confused. He gave you some advice, stop making up things like oh he wants to get rid of you. Makes you sound like you're 15.

Not sure, I don't understand why he would say that unless you told him the pay is much higher working in the private sector and he's jumped to conclusions you are hinting at a promotion and pay rise.

Your boss wants you to know about good opportunities in which you can do better for yourself (and your family, if you have one.) He likes you, likes your work and wants the best for you.