Roman Catholics: Your religion is adamant that Peter was the only one too whom Jesus gave the keys to the kingdom and gave him the power?

to bind 'whatever you bind earth and loose on earth will be bound and loosed in heaven'. How do you reconcile that with the very same words Jesus said to, not just the apostles but to the disciples,in (Matt 18:18)? Matt 18:1-18?

• Nous
    Favorite Answer

Christian churches existed at the time of Christ!

MATTHEW 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them."

The English word "church" is derived from the Greek word kyriakon, which means something belonging to the Lord.

"`Church' in the New Testament, however, renders Greek ekklesia, which mostly designates a local congregation of Christians and never a building.

Long after the crucifixion the ROMANs hijacked Christianity and renamed it the Holy ROMAN Catholic Church. Not in the Holy lands but entirely in ITALY!

Then they hijacked pagan methods of worship against what the bible teaches!

Thou shall have no other gods! Exodus 20:2-3, Exodus 23:13, Exodus 23:24, Exodus 23:32, Exodus 34:14.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. (Exodus 20:4-6)

Deuteronomy 27:15

`Cursed is the man who makes an idol or a molten image, an abomination to the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and sets it up in secret.' And all the people shall answer and say, `Amen.'

So it matters not whether Mary and the Saints are worshiped as gods, idols, intermediaries or anything else it still goes against God's direct orders!

I could be wrong

but I'm pretty sure

that Catholic doctrine does not teach that "the keys" and "the authority to bind and loose" are related.

That is: they teach that ALL of the apostles (excepting Judas, I suppose) and ALL of their "successors" (i.e. the priesthood) had and have "the authority to bind and loose"

but only Peter and his "successors" hold "the keys" (which involve a different type of authority).

Me: Fundamentalist Christian, read the entire Catechism of the Catholic Church several years ago.

• lavagrouch6 months agoReport

You didn't find anywhere in the Holy Scriptures where it shows Peter's successors and they being the ones to which that authority is passed on did you? According to scripture. It was James who was the head authority in the Jerusalem church not Peter.

• DP.

The simple truth is that Catholics are confused. That's why I call it the Confused Catholic Church... CCC.

There are so many areas of Catholic belief that defy scripture, logic and known early Christian belief. Yet Catholics swallow everything the CCC says because the really want to believe it is the church set up by Christ.

Frankly, it's obvious nonsense.

1) The bible does not define church as a physically identifiable organisation. In fact the bible makes it clear the Christ's church is made up of believers and the ONLY examples of church in the bible are not a physically identifiable organisation. To make this clear God even provides an example of church in Revelation and the seven churches!

2) Catholics try to link things in the bible that are unlinked. Here they link Is 22 with Mt 16, which is pretty far reaching. Irrespective the bible says "..I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven". Which keys is Peter getting? They certainly aren't the churches because not only is it not built and according to Catholics Peter is the one building it, meaning he already has the keys!! Note also the tense. "I WILL..." not here you go, Pete, here's the keys.

3) Binding. So often Catholics try to claim a special bit of the bible only applies to their clergy. Confession, forgiveness and binding are just examples... but their examples of Catholic confusion. So Catholics accept that ONLY God can forgive and bind, and vice versa... yet they use scripture to claim that the priests do the forgiving and the binding. Most Catholics marinate in this confusion and live with the cognitive dissonance. The smarter ones realise the problem and try to reconcile in saying, "Well actually the priest doesn't do the forgiving,etc. they just pronounce God's forgiveness"... but this is almost as bad!

The reason is that if the priests are truly acting on God's behalf they're like a prophet who will never get it wrong. They will never forgive when someone isn't repentance for example... yet they do get it wrong all the time. But more than that the scriptures upon which Catholics claim special powers for their priests has two parts... forgiving and unforgiving, binding and loosing. At best Catholic priests only do one part! Who's failing, God or the priests?

Now the truth is that Catholics hate what I'm saying but they steadfastly avoid getting into the detail of what I claim because they cannot. The only thing they argue is that they are the true church and then misuse scripture to back it up. My favourite is their claim that Jesus promised His church would be one but it's at best fanciful!

"I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you."

I find it incredible that anyone could claim this is a promise! It's Jesus praying to His Father.. asking that His followers would be one. Yet Catholics parade this verse as a promise! Does Jesus get everything He desires? More than that does God, the Father..."not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance" God wants NOBODY to perish but many will, so not even God's desires are reflective of what will happen!

More than that they can't read the fullness of the statement.... ".. just as you are in me and I am in you." Hmmm... does this phrase mean that Jesus and the Father are physically identifiable organisation or that they are simply one in thought, desire and purpose?

So to the CCC claim they are THE one true church.. it's either a lie or a mistake. God will judge!

• Paul

The Keys, the symbol of supreme authority, were given only to Peter. All the Apostles shared in that authority, since Peter obviously could not be everywhere at once. But they were still subject to his authority. Which its exactly the same way it is today. All the bishops have authority, but always subject to the authority of the successor of Peter.

• lavagrouch6 months agoReport

If that's true please show from God's word where it declares he's over the others apostles or over the church in authority? According to Matt 18:18 didn't those disciples also have the same authority since Jesus gave it to them?

• Well unknown to your stupid self you are claiming the RC right to interpret Scripture definitively.

• lavagrouch6 months agoReport

According to your lack of clarity you claim to try and think you understand the question.

• Okay, so don't be a Catholic. That was simple.

• lavagrouch6 months agoReport

I'm not but why don't you stop being a catholic?????

Let's get this straighten out bible thumpers.

The stupid, it burns.