Lv 5
asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 6 months ago

The 1950s didn't have nearly the amount of crime that we have today, what has caused all the recent crimes?

62 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You are looking through rose colored glasses. Crime in almost every single category was much higher in the 1950's. The mob was flourishing, lynchings were taking place regularly in the southern states and white collar crimes were rampant.

Also many domestic crimes and abuse were going unreported.

Not to mention Joe McCarthy.

"Leave it to Beaver" was not a fair representation of the era

• ...Show all comments
    • Tina
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Fishie, what in heaven's name do sexual practices which are no one's business but the practitioners have to do with crime?

• 6 months ago

Well, just from a numbers standpoint, there are millions more people around now. I think there was something else, hmmm? Oh yeah, millions more guns and assault weapons. Almost forgot that one.

• 6 months ago

Giving gays rights, and removing prayer from schools. Persecuting minor attracted people.

• ron h
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

tRump lies. There's less now.

• Sircjalot6 months agoReport

Homcide is 5.3 per 100,000. It was around 4.0 per 100,000 in 1950s.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Cousin
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

A lot of crime in the 1950s was not counted as crime. Like the violence perpetrated against minorities was not counted as crime. Brutality on the part of the police was not counted as crime. Denying people their rights was not counted as crime. Murdering Gay people, like the police in Ghent, was not counted as crime. Raping women and molesting girls rarely got reported. There was less crime committed against racist dominant White men who themselves were engaged in rapine and a host of crimes themselves, because they had things set up to their advantage. Not that they had any right to do so. Not that it was fair at all.

• 6 months ago

The definition of a crime has changed since then. You get in trouble for more things now that you wouldn’t get in trouble for in the 50’s.

• 6 months ago

I refuse to give a truthful answer in today's climate

• blu
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You need to be more specific.

The graphs I looked at divide crime into categories like violent and property. I'm detecting a peek in "crime rate" (I don't know if rate is what you're asking about) around 1990. The rates in the 1950s decade and the current decade are comparable. Of course there were fewer crimes in the 50s because the population was significantly smaller.

As it relates to what causes crime, the factors/variables are abundant w/ a strong emphasis on a poverty/crime link. Desperate people take desperate measures.

"Correlation between crime rate and poverty"

"Poverty is the parent of crime." -Aristotle

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?...

Righties don't like to recognize the crime/poverty link because as oppressors, the impoverished are included in groups of people they consider inferior ... just like Blacks, Latinos, Muslims, LGBT etc. All one has to do is monitor YA to confirm the rightie's disdain for these groups to blame. The lib message starts w/ equality w/ focus on the law breakers ... big difference.

I'd have to guess what you mean by recent.

People write books on criminology. People take advanced courses in higher education in related subjects ... that's how complicated it is.

If you're asking about gun violence/mass shootings, that's another subject. Mass shootings are definitely peeking. I can write a treatise on that.

• 6 months ago

Actually, crime rates are at the lowest point since the 1970s. The population back then was around 205 million people as compared to 320 million today. So your idea that crime rates are high is probably based on the fact that when someone is killed on the other side of the country cable news will report on it for an entire news cycle or more, which gives the impression that things are worse than they actually are.

• ...Show all comments
    • Tina
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Di you're talking nonsense as usual. I don't suppose there was a survey, but I can assure you that people didn't leave their doors open in the 50s. You really don't seem to know much about them. Pinnacle of social and civil development! RUBBISH>

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Blacks feeling empowered to live as they do in the ghetto's.

• 6 months ago

Got rid of segregation ❌❌❌❌❌❌❌

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.