n_n asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 6 months ago

Can other animals be as loyal as a dog?

I have seen videos of people keeping wild boar, goat, etc. Can they be as loyal as a dog?

Favorite Answer

Sort of. Depends on what you include in "Loyalty". The herd or group adherence is not identical among all animal species. Loyalty is a reflection of that group adherence, it is, in effect, a word to describe how much an individual values the group and its membership in that group, and what can cause it to turn against the group. The smallest, and most important group, is the family. Animals that identify a particular human as "family" tend to be very loyal when that type of animal is loyal to family (rather than herd or something else).

Many mammals, and often even birds, recall humans that they had an important period of contact with, even after many years of subsequent separation, so loyalty is fairly common among mammals and certain groups of birds. I don't know how to put a quantity on the idea of loyalty so I cannot say that one species is generally more loyal, or not. Many individual animals of many different species have been observed to show this sort of "loyalty" behavior.

My cat is pretty loyal, I've even seen videos of a cat chasing off a dog that was attacking a small child.

But dogs probably have them beat by a hair.

most predators will not be as loyal as a dog. but i know that ducks will. my aunt has ducks and has came out of the store or gas station a couple times to see one of her ducks squatting on the car or walking around the front door to the store

No.

God made it so.

Oh yes. The non domesticated sort raised from infant can see you as mama. Rodents, marsupials, small mammals like skunk, fox, even bears, elephants, seals, etc, the list can be big. How about an owl that brings you the mail.

The loyalty line usually crosses with dependency and even there, that can include dogs that have not bonded.

I will say it is hard to beat a bonded dog, but I had a mouse that at least compares.

Cases of a pet bear rescuing its keeper or being classed as a service animal.

Even a tiger long separated from the person that rescued it showed tears of joy when brought together.

Rare cases albeit but should prove the point.

Boar I would question and once adapted wild, are no pet, Goats and pigs yes.

Dependency on the part of an animal can be mistaken for loyalty. But it is my personal belief that none can beat a dog with the exception of a great ape.

Not yet. Dogs have been selectively bred for thousands of years. Other animals not so much.

• Edwena

Not like a dog, but almost all animals can be domesticated. What happens is that a human has an abundance of food available that the animal would not otherwise have access to. By artificially interfering in the natural balance and preserving the life/relieving stress of individual selected animals, the human gains control over the animal. Over generations, a symbiotic relationship develops and natural bonding occurs. Dogs are more unique than other animals because the genetics are more adaptable to manipulation by humans.

Most herd animals can be extremely loyal pets. It's a form of co-dependency.

• Damien

what do you mean loyal? do u have any idea how many loyal dogs ripped the kid in the family apart