Muslims, if Islam is submission to god, why do we have to say that Muhammad is his prophet to become a Muslim?

According to Islam god sent thousands of prophets, including Jesus. But if someone says that Jesus or Mose is his prophet instead of Muhammad, he won't be accepted as a Muslim. Why?

You don't have to say it. But believe he is one of the prophets along with the others mentioned in the Quran.

The people of the Quran became Muslims when they said "I submit to the lord of the worlds". When saying that it doesn't mean you exclude prophet Muhammed, because submitting to God means you accept everything from him. Islam isn't a new religion made by prophet Muhammed, but the religion of Abraham. Prophet Muhammed himself said these words, not his own name when he became Muslim.

"And who would abandon the creed of Abraham except one who fools himself? We have selected him in this world, and in the Hereafter he is of the righteous. When his Lord said to him: "Submit," he said: "I submit to the Lord of the worlds." (2:130-131)

"Say: "I have been prohibited from serving those whom you are calling upon besides God, since the proofs have come to me from my Lord. And I have been commanded to submit to the Lord of the worlds." (40:66)

"God bears witness that there is no god except He, as do the angels, and those with knowledge, He is standing with justice. There is no god except He, the Noble, the Wise." (3:18)

• Princess

That's something that was invented possibly to be distinguished from Jews and Christians. But Islam simply mean submission to God.

Islam is truly submission to the will of GOD, so there is no word as, if.

Those who submit to the will of GOD, then being called Muslims. GOD send down all HIS Prophets to all mankind ,in all lands and all generations ,totaling to 124,000 ,by having Adam ,as HIS first Prophet and Muhammad is HIS last Prophet on earth (May GOD be pleased with them all) . So, those who believe this truth of GOD , then become the one who submit to HIS Will , then being called Muslim and those who deny this truth then being called non- Muslim.

Muslims then believe in the Prophethood of Moses and Jesus or Esa (May GOD be pleased with both of then.) Since the Jews deny the Prophethood of Jesus and Muhammad (May GOD be pleased with both of them ) then GOD label them as Jahudee or Judaism and as Christians deny the Prophethood of Muhamad (May Peace and Blessing be upon him and his Holy family) then GOD label them as being Nasranee or the Christians. Then both groups are out of the fold of being Muslims or Islam.

• Kin

Edit: see my update and comments.

First of all, all those Prophets are Allah's Prophets as well. Prophets Musa, Prophet-messiah Isa {Jesus}, Prophet Abraham, Prophet Adam, Prophet-King Daoud {David}, Prophet-King Solomon, Prophet John, and all the previous Prophets are dear to Allah and each are unique. They have their own followers, their own revelations and I believe in them as well.

I believe in all the Prophets of Allah and must obey them as well. Disbelieving in a single Prophet is not acceptable because they all held the same message from Allah, the same monotheism and I believe in all the Prophets of Allah are truthful and have no doubts whatsoever to disbelieve. I also believe in all the previous books, tablets, scrolls of Allah and previous revelations from Allah that were revealed to His previous Prophets. Peace & blessings of Allah be upon them all. Disbelieving a single revelation from Allah is not acceptable and not the way of Islam. Again, I have no doubts in the truth and believe in the previous revelations from Allah.

Furthermore, because the final, last Prophet of God is Prophet Muhammad, peace & blessings be upon him, and this nation is the last nation {ummah, community of Muslims} with the last Prophet of God.

My Prophet is Prophet Muhammad, peace & blessings be upon him, and I am pleased with my Prophet and Allah chose this Prophet of God. Allah gave me this Prophet and made Prophet Muhammad, peace & blessings be upon him, my Prophet and I accept happily, I believe Allah has chosen the best and the final Prophet-messenger of God.

No one can deny and no one can defy the Prophet Allah has chosen. It is Allah's choice and Allah's will the reason.

Finally, it is a truthful, evident, belief. There is no God except Allah and His messenger is the Prophet Muhammad, peace & blessings of Allah be upon him. It is the declaration of faith of every Muslim.

I accept the Prophet Muhammad, peace & blessings be upon him, as a Prophet of God and with firm conviction. God has spoken the truth and clarified and decreed the Prophethood. No one can take away the Prophethood of Prophet Muhammad, peace & blessings be upon him.

Allah Azza Wajal Himself, may He be exalted, said,

“This is the Book: There is no doubt about it. A perfect guidance for the God-revering, pious, who keep their duty to God.” {Al-Baqarah, the Cow, 2:2}

This beautiful religion is the religion of Prophet Abraham and all the Prophets of Allah.

You should read the words of my Allah, the Most High, said:

"And strive for Allah with the striving due to Him. He has chosen you and has not placed upon you in the religion any difficulty. It is the religion of your father, Abraham. {Allah} has named you." - 22:78

"This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion." - 5:3

Furthermore, "Say, indeed, my prayer, my rites of sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allah, Lord of the Worlds." - 6:162

My Lord is One. My beloved truthful Prophet is One and my Allah's Holy Wise Forqan is One. My Allah is the Light of the Heavens & the Earth. Allah is Light, and the Holy Wise Forqan is light.

Allah calls His Beautiful, Wise, Holy, Truthful Book a light and His beloved Prophet a light.

"There has come to you from Allah a light and a clear book." - 5:15

"So believe in Allah and His messenger and the light that We have descended." - 64:8

The Prophet Muhammad, peace & blessings be upon him, is the Seal of Prophets, the Seal of Prophethood, the Last Prophet of God and the Holy Wise, Truthful, Living, Miraculous Quran is the last revelation from God. It is complete foundation from Allah.

Allah is straightforward, anyone who turns away from the truth and turns away from His truthful Prophet Muhammad, peace & blessings be upon him, is welcome to do so and Allah is Self-Sufficient. People will come to know the truth one day that they denied and rejected. Allah has made very clear about His Prophet Muhammad, peace & blessings be upon him.

Allah Azza Wajal, may He be Exalted, also said,

"So I swear by what you can see and by what you cannot see: this {Quraan} is the speech of an honored messenger, not the words of a poet - how little you believe! - nor the words of a soothsayer - how little you reflect!

This {Quraan} is a revelation sent down from the Lord of the Worlds: if {the Prophet} had attributed some fabrication to Us, We would certainly have seized his right hand and cut off his lifeblood, and none of you could have defended him.

This {Quraan} is a reminder for those who are aware of God. We know that some of you consider it to be lies this will be a source of bitter regret for the disbelievers but it is in fact the certain Truth.

So {Prophet} glorify the Name of your Lord, the Almighty."

- Surat Al-Haqqah, 'the Inevitable Truth', {69:38 - 69:52}

• Kin

I did answer, it is the declaration of faith and the evident truth, there is no God except Allah and the Prophet Muhammad, peace & blessings be upon him, is the messenger of Allah.

They all are just wrong, and don't know it.

• Gourry

Like Jews and Christians.

It means your faith is not complete though you're still a believer and you'll be saved in the Hereafter so long as you live righteously and do good works (2:63). Muhammad's revelation is the culmination of all revelations given to previous nations, among whom the Israelites. It affirms the belief in One God, and denies all deities beside him. It also corrects some of the misconceptions and innovations that had infiltrated previous religions, such as the blasphemous claim that Jesus is God or His Son. And whereas previous revelations had specific Laws for its nations, Islam's message is universal and preserved by God until the Last Day.

• Princess

"And from the people, there are those who will purchase a baseless narrative (Arabic: lahw al hadithi) with which to mislead from the path of God without knowledge, and to make it a mockery" (31:6)

I mean, if you were the author of a religious texts, you might not be able to resist specifying that people worship you, either.