Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

Making hard boiled eggs. Lets say you start boiling the eggs to make hard boiled eggs, but something came up that you had to attend to, so?

you stopped boiling the eggs, let them cool and stuck the-not-completely-cooked eggs into the refrigerator. You came back hours later. Could you then re-cook the eggs to the hard boiled stage? Would the hard boiled texture come out just fine, the 2nd time? Why or Why Not?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

If you counted the time the eggs were actually boiling, and then boil them for the time left, the worst you will have is a green ring around the yolk. I do 5-5-5 eggs in a pressure cooker, and they're always perfect. Five minutes under pressure, 5 minutes slow release and 5 minutes in an ice bath. Pinch off the membrane, and the eggs peel themselves.

• 6 months ago

Not sure, bc the cooking time is sketchy. Know that they’d continue to cook while sitting in the cooling water. Try shelling one to check.

• Janet
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Do not recook them.

BUT ... I cook hardboiled eggs by slowly bringing them up to boiling temperature and then removing the pan from the heat, covering it, and letting the eggs sit in the water for 20 minutes.

So they eggs DO continue to cook after removed from the heat.

Before throwing out those eggs, first sacrifice one ... crack it open to SEE if it cooked enough.

If not, then throw them all out.

• 6 months ago

take one and cut it open. I bet they are done and don't need more cooking.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

You would probably be turning the egg whites rubbery. You could have turned the heat off and just let them sit in the hot water for 20 minutes.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Why would you have done that? If the water was boiling and you'd just turned off the heat they would probably have finished cooking. Why would anyone half cook something and then refrigerate it?

You can try what you suggest but I'd expect the eggs to be rubbery and unpleasent. The only way to be sure is to try it.

• 6 months ago

When you partially cook something, then cool it, then cook it again, the part that was already cooked gets cooked again. So you might get eggs that were completely cooked through, but they might be hard and rubbery.

The best way to make hard-boiled eggs is not to boil them at all. You put them in cold water, put them on the stove until the water just begins to boil, then cover them and take them off the heat and let them sit for 20 min. So if you had to stop, just take them off the heat and they'd be fine!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.