Anonymous

My new job laid me off?

I started a job one month ago, and it is for a small business. I got a job in their sales department and I noticed my boss wrote a bad script and none of us were selling after the first week. One guy quit. And no one was selling not even the boss was. They grabbed me today after one month of employment and said I am truly sorry but we have to let you go but you were on of the most amazing person I have ever met. We are closing the sales department. The owner and sales manager handed me my last check plus $500 extra. They said I have no hesitation you will find a job. Wow after one month? This was for a small company. Did I do something wrong?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Not really, or did you really check them out before you joined them?

• 5 months ago

Same exact thing happened to me lol. I just moved on. Simply put. I'm going back to school (year left) and I'm getting a job as a personal trainer.

• 5 months ago

Not necessarily your performance. Could be other reasons. Check with your HR

• 5 months ago

Business tanked for them, they cut their losses. It was out of your control.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No, not if they closed the entire department. I suppose there might have been some indication in their history that might have given some hint of what was to come, but since you likely don't have a crystal ball, you would not necessarily know.

• 5 months ago

You were NOT laid off. "Letting you go" means you were fired. Clearly, when they have closed a department - the department you were in, they won't need you back down the road.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Your story sounds like fabricated BS.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Your only mistake was working as a sales rep for a company selling something no one wanted to buy.

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

A lay off is due to company staffing. The company does not feel they need or can afford the number of employees they have. Your position was determined to be expendable.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

i dont think you did anything wrong, they just werent selling anything so they had to lay you off

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.