Darth Vader asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

Should Pitbulls be banned nationwide in America like they are in the UK. Why aren't they?

I see Pit Bulls attack people all the time in the news, media etc. People keep saying "It never attacked anyone, I trained and socialized with it for years and never attacked anyone." Until when they least expect it their Pit Bulls do attack their babies, other people, children and even their own owners. It happens all the time. Pit Bulls have attacked and killed more people than any other dog breed has by far.

• Ryde0n
    Favorite Answer

I've had pits for 40+ years not so much as a nip , yet I have been bitten by Shepherds , Akitas and a variety of throw pillow dogs .

I wish. Pit Bulls are dangerous dogs that will always snap at some point, no matter what training they get.

• John

And so what? So pit bulls attack people what's your point? People are aware off bulls and can keep out of their way or not.

People attack other people more often than Pitt bulls do in fact more often than all dogs combined do.

Unless a dog is suffering from crazy disease there is NO WAY it should be destroyed from chewing on these assholes.

With foreign populations running upwards of 75℅ in this country I expect americans to not only be fully armed but have nasty mean dogs that obviously never wag their tails!

No, they shouldn't be banned from anywhere. Anyone who answered yes to that questions should be banned from this earth. God didn't create animals to fight, aggressive, or attack humans. It's the owners/master who trained them to be that way. It's not animals faults how they were trained. To me, that's cruelty to animals and should be shamed. I don't know how those people can sleep at night.

• Star_of_Darkness

They need to be banned and wiped out. They are trash dogs that kill people

• *****

You realize that the UK breed bans have not reduced bite rates in the UK at all, right? Breed bans are ineffective, because breed is not the major determinate of bite incidents. Dogs that inflict serious bite injuries are almost always intact male dogs, housed outdoors, and most chained up as a means of confinement. Not conditions that speak of responsible and loving owners.

Pit Bull Terriers and mixes thereof are the most numerous type of dog in the USA. There are literally millions of them in homes, and the vast majority of them will never bite anyone. Bite statistics by breed are massively flawed for several reasons.

First, the average person couldn't identify a pit bull accurately if it bit them in the butt. There's lots of dogs that look like pit bulls, and plenty that don't but are mistaken for them anyway. I had someone stop me in the street and ask me if I chained my "miniature pit bull" up at night so it didn't attack me in my sleep. I was walking a 12 pound Boston Terrier. My brother and his dog were attacked earlier this year by what he swore were a pair of pit bulls. It was actually a pair of English Mastiffs. A dog was shot and killed by police in my city a couple years ago after cornering an elderly man and child. It was widely reported in the national media to have been a pit bull, despite video clearly showing a purebred Boxer and the owners producing the dogs AKC papers. No correction or retraction was ever published besides in our local newspaper.

Secondly, bite incidents by breeds thought of as "gentle" often go unreported or intentionally misreported. I know a Golden Retriever who's bitten at least a dozen people, several who required medical attention. Each time the owner claims she's never done anything like that before and begs that it not be reported. Do you know how many reported it accurately to animal control? None. And I know for a fact that three of the victims told the hospital they were bitten by a stray pit bull at the owner's urging. A Shih Tzu that was in my dog's obedience class years ago, the trainer recently told me

the owners brought him back for help because he has hospitalized seven people with serious bite injuries to their faces and hands. Want to guess how many of those were accurately reported to animal control? Again, none.

I've volunteered at shelters for over two decades. I've had precisely zero pit bulls or pit mixes attempt to bite me, though they are by far the most common dog type I interact with. I have had several Labradors, Goldens, Shepherds, Huskies, and an assortment of small breeds give it a good try, though. APBTs have a higher percentage pass rate on temperament testing than almost any other breed, including the Golden Retriever.

• Nathan

Doberman pinschers, rottweilers, and German shepherds topped lists of dogs some considered dangerous in the not-too-distant past.

These days, pit bulls often make headlines and it’s rarely good news. If it isn’t about an attack on a child or a shooting by police, it’s a tale of neglect or abuse. The heat of such reports has forged a frightening image of the pit bull as having a hair-trigger temper and a lock-jawed bite.

Pit bulls are not inherently dangerous. Like any other dogs, they can become violent, aggressive and mean through a lack of training, abuse, neglect and irresponsible ownership and breeding as well as a lack of attention to health and temperament issues.

So why should they be banned everywhere, which means killing them to extinction, when it is 100% the owners fault for not meeting their needs and keeping routine and discipline constant?

• sally

If Pitbulls have good owners then they are fine.

It certainly would help stop some of these attacks. I cannot really blame the dogs, I blame the idiots who breed them. There are no reputable breeders of the pit so the breed lack uniformity. BYBers & Puppy Mills are where pit bulls come from.

Stop these breeders from breeding & let some of the reputable breeders get the breeds back to their original standards. Stop people from breeding their pets. There is no genetic testing, no certifications of hips, eyes, they do not breed to standards & really screw up the dog they breed. The pit is a very good example of this. Then look at the other breeds they have ruined.

Ban the breeding, stop the BYBers & Puppy Mills. They create very low-quality pups & sell for outrageous prices. Even their so-called pure breeds are nothing but a screwed up bunch of crap. & when you breed junk to junk, you only get worse junk. lower quality & now dogs are lower & lower in quality. I once groomed a registered pure breed Poodle that has a STRAIGHT coat. Where was the poodle in this pure breed Poodle. It did not have a poodle coat. Registered as a pure breed by a BYBer.

• humpty

Pit bulls have been bred to be that way, and their breeders should be prevented from continuing the practice. If dogfighting is against the law, surely breeding dogs to fight is equally criminal. That being said, I remember the same fuss about Rotweillers, and know a family in rural Washington with seven of those who have never attacked anything but a bear that came near the kids.

What amazes me is the idiots who have pet pythons and boa constrictors, and leave them alone with their children. I know of one case where one of my grandchildren went to visit her friend and found the baby sleeping in the coils of the family pet! Perhaps we should stop talking about whether some people should be allowed to breed dogs and ask if they should be allowed to breed themselves.

You are an ignoramus.