Dog is traumatized of the sound of phones and bells from previous owners abuse. How to desensitize?

She freaks out at the slightest hint of them. So we’ve tried just making the noise gently and leaving her be or giving her a treat after. To show it isn’t a threat. But after a month she still freaks out. Should we just continuously play the sound until she stops reacting to it or is that cruel? I really don’t know... show more She freaks out at the slightest hint of them. So we’ve tried just making the noise gently and leaving her be or giving her a treat after. To show it isn’t a threat. But after a month she still freaks out. Should we just continuously play the sound until she stops reacting to it or is that cruel? I really don’t know what else to do for her. She constantly is anxious. Waiting for the sound and inevitably to be kicked or hit. (The previous owners wife told us he would do that cus she’d bark).