Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 5 months ago

Should "under God" be removed from The Pledge of Allegiance?

Jesus said st John 17:16 They are no part of the world,a just as I am no part of the world.

No. God exists, whether you like it or not.

• Jea

No it doesn't. Give up the pretense, it does you no good. It does do you harm. And everyone around you,.

In my book...yes. As an atheist I find those two words offensive. And it certainly is not a separation of church from State with that phrase.

• oldprof

Under god assumes monotheism; that alone defines preference for set of religions that believe in one god. And, fun, really? You don't get it at all do you. The offense is that "Under God" belittles my belief that there is no such thing. And let's get along means on your not my terms it seems.

• Paul

It would be a major step toward the destruction of our country.

• Jea

It is a major step toward that very thing by being there. It is divisive as your foul religion is. It is there dishonestly, and should be removed. It is an insult to the very thing America was founded upon.

• Caesar

"under God", was added in 1954. Francis Julius Bellamy was an American Christian socialist minister and author, best known for writing the original version of the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance.

1892 "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

This phrase was added to the pledge in the 1950s. It was not used until then.

In my opinion, the US should not acknowledge ANY religion nor religious motto, but the Supreme Court once ruled that an empty slogan like this is permissible.

• barty

It never should have been added in the first place.

We do not conform to libtards

• Caesar

The original version of the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance...1892 "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
      The greatest conservative maybe is a libertard about history or he does not know what he is talking about

If you wish then, yes. Go ahead and make any changes that you desire.

Else, no.

The pledge of allegiance is not a law. It is not a legal ruling. It is merely a sentence that you can do with as you please. No one, anywhere, is required to say it.

• Mercuri

I'd be fine with just changing it back to the original version.

No never, it belongs there!

• Jea

It is not. it is garbage. The USA is a secular republic, founded to escape religious bigotry like this, not to aid it. Move to Arabia if you wish a theocracy, or perhaps N. Korea.