Is it ok to leave propane gas tank in a garage with the door cracked open?

My friend is kicked out of the house he was leaving and moved to my home. So he brings his stuff and left it in my 2 car garage including two propane gas tanks. I told that it's not safe to leave a propane gas tank store in an enclosed area. I live in a townhouse and HOA not to leave anything outside. I told him to return it to the local store but he didn't. Instead, he cracks the garage doors open to improve ventilation. Is it ok to leave propane gas tank in a garage with the door cracked open?

If it doesn't leak, it is safe to have it under your bed.

If the gas is leaking, it needs ventilation to dissipate.

• glcang

Fine to store non leaking tanks indoors

Much ado about nothing!

Generally yes, with no source of ignition. If you have a gas water heater out there, not a good idea. If your "friend" won't put them elsewhere, then rethink "friend."

not if there is any power in the garage, such as a light switch

• In

If it is not safe to store a propane tank indoors then I am in big trouble. There are 2 propane tanks, 2 motorcycles with gas in their tanks, 2 cars with gas in their tanks, and a lawnmower, weed whacker, chainsaw, and leaf blower with fuel in their tanks in the basement below me, and there is a gas water heater with a standing pilot light in the corner. In 14 years I have not yet been blown into orbit.

Who is going to notice if they're out back?

• Tavy

Everyone stores the tanks in a shed or garage. It's sealed ain't it?

• John

Propane is odorless and colorless. No propane on my property.

• BBG

I've always stored my propane tanks in the garage. If the valve is closed, what's the problem?

I mean, you're not going to store the tank OPEN and let the gas evaporate, right?

You store your car and your lawn mower in the garage and those have gas.

Am I missing something here?