Is it ok to leave propane gas tank in a garage with the door cracked open?

My friend is kicked out of the house he was leaving and moved to my home. So he brings his stuff and left it in my 2 car garage including two propane gas tanks. I told that it's not safe to leave a propane gas tank store in an enclosed area. I live in a townhouse and HOA not to leave anything outside. I told him to return it to the local store but he didn't. Instead, he cracks the garage doors open to improve ventilation. Is it ok to leave propane gas tank in a garage with the door cracked open?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

If it doesn't leak, it is safe to have it under your bed.

If the gas is leaking, it needs ventilation to dissipate.

• glcang
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Fine to store non leaking tanks indoors

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Much ado about nothing!

• 5 months ago

Generally yes, with no source of ignition. If you have a gas water heater out there, not a good idea. If your "friend" won't put them elsewhere, then rethink "friend."

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

not if there is any power in the garage, such as a light switch

• In
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

If it is not safe to store a propane tank indoors then I am in big trouble. There are 2 propane tanks, 2 motorcycles with gas in their tanks, 2 cars with gas in their tanks, and a lawnmower, weed whacker, chainsaw, and leaf blower with fuel in their tanks in the basement below me, and there is a gas water heater with a standing pilot light in the corner. In 14 years I have not yet been blown into orbit.

• 5 months ago

Who is going to notice if they're out back?

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Everyone stores the tanks in a shed or garage. It's sealed ain't it?

• John
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Propane is odorless and colorless. No propane on my property.

• BBG
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I've always stored my propane tanks in the garage. If the valve is closed, what's the problem?

I mean, you're not going to store the tank OPEN and let the gas evaporate, right?

You store your car and your lawn mower in the garage and those have gas.

Am I missing something here?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.