Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 9 months ago

is it horrible that my blood pressure is 150/80?

I went to the doctor this week and i was told my blood pressure was high. it was 150/80. i'm a 32 year old man. i don't drink alcohol or smoke AT ALL. i'm not enormous. i thought i was healthy AF. i'm freaking out.

It could also be your diet... do you eat high carb food? Just because you're not enormous, it doesn't mean you have a healthy diet.

Lifestyle changes can help you control and prevent high blood pressure — even if you're taking blood pressure medication.

Here's what you can do:--

* Eat healthy foods. Adopt DASH diet/ Mediterranean diet.

* Decrease the salt in your diet.

* Maintain a healthy weight.

* Increase physical activity.(most important). Walk as much as you can.

* Limit alcohol.

* Don't smoke.

* Manage stress.

* Monitor your blood pressure at home.

* Practice relaxation or slow, deep breathing.

Links:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DASH_diet

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/0...

My normal blood pressure is like 108/64. But when I’m at the doctors I have white coat syndrome and my blood pressure has spiked up to 148/70. 10 minutes later, she took it again when I was much more relaxed, and it dropped like 10 points. So you may just be stressed because of the doctor setting, causing your blood pressure to spike. My dad has the same problem, along with many others. I recommend taking your blood pressure somewhere where you won’t be stressed, and can get an accurate reading. And if your blood pressure turns out to actually be that high, exercise more and eat better, you’d be surpised how much of a difference it can make! Let me know how it goes!

Best of luck,

Michael

This is extremely high (approaching hypertensive crisis). The wide pulse pressure (large difference between the two numbers) can mean different things in different settings. In the setting of trauma this can be indicative of a skull fracture. (part of what is known as cushing's triad). More frequently, this is indicative of symptomatic cardiac disease. (i.e. valve problems, arteriosclerosis, heart block, etc.) That said, before reacting to this, one should be sure that the measurement was correct. Do not use devices that measure via the wrist (they are inaccurate), and a manual cuff is preferable to the electronic type, if you know how to use a manual cuff and you have decent vision and hearing.

It might be a good idea for you to get a GOOD battery operated upper arm cuff (wrist cuffs are garbage) & check your BP periodically throughout the day. 150/80 doesn't sound right, & I am inclined to doubt that is your actual BP.

Are YOU a diabetic? they suggest Higher Systalic Pressure (Wider Gap) isnt very well know what causes it though Males over 45 , Overwieght and Diabetis are Serious factors I noticed you said your were in your 30's a non smoker the possibility is that something isnt going well, even if you havent been diagnosed perhaps see a Primary care or Walk In PC allow them to work up some Blood for your Numbers cholesterol HDL/Good (higher) LDL bad fats LOW! and Triglycerides as well as YOUR SOdium Magnesium and Minerals in your blood and based on them take a Mens Muti Vitamin ( after the doctor OK's it ) Your young enough To blow it off Like most guys, but YOU seriously need to nip it and find a way to control your health NOW before You wake up, Having survived an Open heart surgery or something at 43.... 120 or lower/80 or lower is healthy the wider the gap is between the 2 the more serious you need to take it, when you go in to see the Doctor , Walk in whatever you choose dont Take any BS from them, I want MY blood drawn and complete examination based on That and MY Blood pressure being A Wide Gap ,,,,,,70 points Is A Huge Gap,.... if they say ahh its nothing Then ask for a referal or Find a "interventional Cardiologist" set up and appointment based on YOU wanting to get to the bottom of the issue (DONT let them dictate YOU are your own best advocate.... IF you crap the bed, Its not really going to affect "them" very much,,,,,

• 9 months agoReport

Walk in probably won't draw blood without a Dr.s order.

That's an interesting blood pressure for a couple of reasons. First: 150 is too high a number to live at on a long term basis & expect your heart to remain healthy.

Secondly: the difference between your systolic (top number) & diastolic (bottom number) pressures is referred to as your pulse pressure, & a normal pulse pressure is in the vicinity of 40 or so. A little outside the normal parameter doesn't mean enough to worry about, but yours is 70. If you just finished some anaerobic exercise, such as weightlifting or running sprints, that would account for a TEMPORARY high pulse pressure. Otherwise, as I previously typed, that's an interesting number & could mean a couple of things.

Who took your pressure? Was it a medical assistant? It's possible he or she didn't know what s/he was doing.

That's high. Your doctor will give you a couple of medicines. You should also look into doing ten minutes of walking exercise after each meal.

• Robin

that's not high its within the normal range

• 8 months agoReport

You SERIOUSLY think 150/80 is "normal"? You might think about refraining from offering medical advice.

Part of it is heredity. Just follow the directions of your doctor and you will need to go on maintenance medicines.

• yo she didn't give me directions or medicine. she was just like "yeah its high"