How is it possible to eat tartar and not get sick?

• Mark

You have to use VERY fresh meat, preferably ground by you shortly before you serve it. I personally don't like raw meat - it tastes like blood, and I'm neither a vampire nor a dog.

People have been doing it for ages so it is possible.

• denise

I havent tried it [dont fancy it!], though its said if the meat is 'very' fresh, its fine.

Tartare, as well as sushi, relies on the fact that we have learned how to raise or screen animals that have no baceteria or parasites that could make you sick. They also have to be exceptionally fresh. Over time we've raised extremely healthy, safe cattle, and since the elimination of certain parasites in domestic stock, the same extends to pork.

You start with the freshest beef that you can buy. You can buy pasteurized eggs so the egg yolk will be safe to eat.

• Clive

Tartar what? There is no such food.

• Adam D

Meat isn't naturally full of bacteria. It gets introduced during processing. If high levels of cleanliness and sanitation are imposed during processing, raw meat is pretty safe.

Tartare is what I meant.