My parents are making my college search difficult?

I’m a senior in high school trying to figure out where to go to college. My dad only wants me to go to a Christian college, which would be fine as I am a Christian, except I didn’t take my SAT’s and most near me require them. My mom wants me to take them to keep the peace in the house so that my dad won’t flip out because he can be crazy and will block me out. I have a few colleges I want to check out but I can’t because it will start problems with my family. I’m so upset because I have no one to talk to about this. I try to talk to my mom but she just cares about my dad’s reaction. I don’t have a guidance counselor so I am doing this by myself. What should I do?

Make your own decision about what exactly you wanted to do. Taking advice from parents is good. But if perspectives of both parents reflect differently, you need to take the decision on your self at the end. Search for different options and make their match according to your requirement. I can guarantee, you will get your answers.

• drip

Take the SAT or ACT ASAP. Find out which one has the next test date you can sign up for. Why didn’t you take this exam if you thought you would go to college?

You can go to a community college. You do not have to stay a full two years. You can start college classes and take the SAT during your senior year. Many universities allow you to transfer in after one year. Some allow you to transfer one semester.

You should of already been going on college visits with your parents. Do so ASAP.

It's your life - so you may have to make a stand. If your parents are paying, some compromise is needed.

• Cu Tie

At this point, I think the best option for you is to bypass the SATs, and instead attend a community college for the next 2 years. Then, you can transfer to a Christian college for your final 2 years of college. In that way, you can save money for the first 2 years of college, which can be helpful to you (or your parents), considering the amount of tuition that was spent these past 4 years for attending a private high school.

Don’t worry I’ll have a talk with them one on one.

• John

Not taking the SAT or ACT will severely limit your choice of 4 year colleges. You will have many more options if you take either of them.

Step #1 is to sign up for the SAT ASAP!  You must get the test score before the application deadline and those options are closing in fast. You can get into the October 5th test if you pay a late fee.  Your next option is the November 2nd test.

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/regi... no point if getting all upset.  You can certainly do a lot of online 'checking out" of those schools that interest you.  As for your Dad, the key to resolving any issue is to understand what in behind the demand or restriction.  Your father is probably worried about the negative influences, culture, and lifestyle of students a secular universities.  That's fair -- to a point.  You can try to point out that you are strong in your faith and won't be "corrupted."  You can also use Matthew 5:13-16, “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

Use websites like Niche and BigFuture to look what schools are a good fit for you.  try to get your dad to agree that you'll apply to three private Christian schools that he approves of and that you'll also get to apply to two schools of your choosing.  Just because you apply doesn't mean you'll get in and just because you get in doesn't mean you have to go.  The goal is to have a choice to make next Spring.

Good luck. 

I think you should just take the SAT in October if you still have time to register for it. Meanwhile, here's a list of schools that don't require the SAT: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/w... Any Christian school you are considering should tell you on its website whether they require the SAT or ACT for admissions.

There are some good Christian schools (Hartwick comes to mind) and some terrible ones (Liberty is the poster child here.) Be sure you know the difference. Take the SATs and apply to a variety of schools, Christian or not. Then, make your decision on the basis of the school's qualifications.

I need to know how you managed to skip the SAT.

• Lili

Fine, but if you were researching possible colleges, which most people start doing in their junior year or summer before senior year, you must have known they required the SAT. Why didn't you sign up to take it this fall?