Can a Cat8 Ethernet Cable be terminated at any RJ45 wall jack?

I am planning on upgrading my home network from Cat5 to Cat8 but I want to make sure that I can still use the basic RJ45 Wall Jacks that I currently have and that are available at my local hardware store.

Or if I have to get RJ45 Wall Jacks that specifically state that they are for Cat8.

• BigE

To do CAT 8 it must be shielded, even the keystone. You can't use CAT 5 keystone for CAT 8.

• Anton

No. And you need to rip all of the cables out of the walls and run in Cat 8 cables.

• P

It seems like an absurd waste of money to wire a house with CAT 8.  Regardless you would definitely need the RJ45 jacks all updated to cat 8 shielding standards too otherwise you could get too much interference from the older jacks.

• L

Agree. Unless the house is a "data center". Class I CAT8 is backward compatible with CAT6, but the speed advantages with CAT8 is eliminated when CAT5 connectors are used. CAT8 is designed for short runs between network switches and servers. CAT8 is not even meant for general office environments.