Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 8 months ago

Does submitting a college application before the deadline mean you get a decision sooner?

If a deadline is February 1 but I finish and submit my application a month or two before, will I receive my decision any sooner?

Sometimes it does (if the school has rolling admissions) and sometimes it doesn't (if the school waits until all applications are in before making a decision). The advantage of getting the application in early is that you are done with it. You can focus on other things and enjoy your senior year.

• Vicki

No. Just means you'll actually be considered for the program.

NO, you will not receive a decision until the deadline is met.

• MS

Some schools do rolling admissions, where they review applications as they come in and provide rather quick decisions. Others do not begin to review until after the deadline, and send decisions out all at once at a later date.

Unless a university has "rolling admissions," applications are filed, reviewed (yes, often by a Work-Study Student or clerical worker) for completion. Then completed applications (all additional documentation such as test scores & letters of recommendation received) are reviewed to ensure ALL prerequisites & admission requirements are met.

Only completed, qualified applications are reviewed by committee after the submission deadline. The obviously best candidates typically are accepted & notified first, then remaining candidates evaluated to the limits of their intake (plus margin for those who do not confirm acceptance). Last come waiting list candidates who may be accepted if they have vacancies or additional non-confirmations.

Schools with rolling admissions policies usually have similar procedures, but the committee meets more often, reviewing smaller batches of completed & screened applications at a time.

anything is possible, just try it and see and then you'll know

I love how people think there is some kind of gathering of a committee that goes one by one through applications. University officials don't really have time for that kind of stuff. It is grunt work. The truth is it is just someone in a cubicle that reviews them and if they meet the right criteria they accept them. I used to work at the admissions office at my University-and a lot of you would be surprised with how it is done.

Some schools even have a computer do this and the computer has the ability to flag an application for further review.

Maybe at the high profile Ivy leagues and Stanford they do it. But most Universities it is done the way I described.

But to answer your question-yes. Sometimes they do accept applications sooner it really just depends when they see it. When I worked admissions we would have sets of applications to review throughout the week. A typical weekly caseload for me was about 150 applications. And they would all have been accepted well before the deadline. That deadline is exactly that-a deadline to submit your application. It is really nothing more and not an indicator of when you get your response.

Fyi: when I got into Uni I submitted my application on a Monday and got my acceptance letter 2 days later. And this was way way before the deadline. To be fair though I was JC transfer though.

No. Committees have to meet and consider the applications. They do them all at once.

its possible, you'll find out after you submit it

Nope. Most college release their decisions all at one time.