I don't know what to do out of college?

I can't get an internship, I applied to 4, I have no work experience except for an unpaid summer internship not relating to my major. Should I take a gap year before I get my masters to try and get some kind of paid job? Does it have to be in my major field (criminal justice) or can I work a regular job to sort of build my resume?

Any job, except fast food is better than no job. No experience in the field is not a good deal.

You need to get a job that gives you some type of work experience.  It would be great if it was at least vaguely related to your area of interest, but at this point any full-time job would be good.

Let's also get realistic.  You should plan on applying to as many as 100 jobs.  Applying to 4 internships isn't even scratching the surface of what you needed to do. 

Start by setting up a LinkedIn profile if you don't have one.  Then start applying to jobs on LinkedIn as well as other job posting sites like Monster, CareerBuilder, Indeed, etc.   Your full-time job is to find a job.  That means spending 6 hours a day applying to every single job that remotely meets your criteria.  

• MS

Internships are not necessary for getting a job or to get into a graduate program. Criminal justice is not a degree that lends itself to easy job searches. Start applying for actual jobs in your area, or go ahead and get your master's. But continuing to search for an internship is not going to help you.

• :)

I agree with Joe. I’m a nursing major; externships are not even required to get a job nor are they required by my school. Yet I I still wanted one; I applied to 9, all over my state (NJ) and only 2 got back to me. Only one hired me. And the one that did hire me was 1.5 hours away from my new home, but luckily it was near my old hometown and I was able to live with my friend. I did it this past summer (between my junior and senior years). Keep in mind that I’m in the top 5% of my class, and I have a great resume of past job experience, extra curricular activities, etc. Yet I only got one offer, and it wasn’t even close to my house. There are all kinds of reasons to get rejected (availability, first come first serve, etc). Don’t be discouraged.

Keep trying if you want it badly enough!

• Joe L

Only 4? I applied to 34 to get my current job. Keep trying.