Why is it not allowed to film videos in shopping malls, stores, public spaces? (I.e. how do YouTubers get away with this?)?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Best answer

The problem is a lot of the things you think are public spaces are actually private property.  That said it's so easy to film with phones it's nearly impossible to stop everyone, which is how they get away with it.  It just depends on if an employee sees you and if they feel they need to stop you or just let it go.  Otherwise high profile youtubers would be able to afford to pay some of these places or offer free promotion of their business if they guarantee it will be presented positively. 

• Belamie2 months agoReport

The reason I asked this is because I like SOME of the comedy sketches of Brandon Rogers on YouTube and he did a "reaction" video of fans watching his art! One fan asked: "how do you film in convenience stores, fast food restaurants, movie theaters, etc. He said: "I get in trouble all the time"

• 2 months ago

you can do it stores are just rude

• Dave
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

So many clueless twits on here. You can legally film anyone in PUBLIC without any consent. There is no expectation of privacy in a public area.

Private property is another story altogether.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Either all the people in the film are actors or the You tuber just took a picture without anyones O.K and hopes like hell they don't see it for they can SUE HIM for using their image without their permission. If there is money involved, he loses it all.

• Nick2 months agoReport

Dave is absolutely correct, a protected first amendment right. Amazing how many people do not know this.... Its more-so ---you have no EXPECTATION of privacy--- while in public

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • NONAME
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

if you ever catch yourself on a video you did not give permission...you can sue

• Dave
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Nope. You have no clue what you're talking about.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

How do you know that they did not ask for permission before they started recording?

They probably asked for permission before they started the video.

• Nick2 months agoReport

permission is not required in public...

• 2 months ago

cause youre not supposed to film people without their permission

• Nick2 months agoReport

legally, You can freely video record in public or anything within view of a public space. In public space you have no expectation to privacy. protected by the 1st amendment.

-legality not = to morality

A better response would be "Its rude to video record people without their permission."

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.