Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

My sister is moving out but is leaving her mess behind in our shared room? help?

So she is moving out for uni therefore she is not taking everything with her. However she is moving out now but she has still left her side of the room in such a mess that I am embarrassed to invite any of my friends down. I have even offered to help but she is so stubborn. She has payed no rent, I have always payed my parents rent but yet I feel as if she is leaving me with her mess I am unable to move out as I can't afford it at the moment and it buds me that she is controlling the room even though she pays nothing and is rarely going to be here. What can I do? and please don't suggest I move out because it's not that easy and I can't afford it in the meantime, thanks.

*bugs not buds

• art

my neice once did that when she was swapping rooms at home,her mum gave her an hour to take anything she wanted before everything got thrown out, she didn't believe her mum and went out with her friends instead, the next day when she was looking for some clothes that she wanted washed to wear the next day (she had left them on the floor) well she was shocked when she found out that it was gone, along with one of her school text book, a load of makeup, her spare mobile phone, perfume, her expensive underwear and a load of other clothes she had also left there.

it didnt work though as her new room is a complete mess too now

I would have said bin all her stuff but that will only cause fights when she finds out and it wont cure her

• Edna

Pack up her stuff, take it to a storage facility; rent storage space under her name; and have the storage facility mail her the monthly storage bill. If she doesn't pay the storage fees, the storage facility will take possession of her stuff and sell it, and she'll have nothing.

make her clean it up and pay her t clean it up

Don't make such a big deal of this. Pack up her stuff after she leaves. Stick it in a box (or boxes) and store it somewhere else in the house. Put her bed against a wall and cozy it up with some cute pillows (Walmart, Target) so your friends have a place to sit when they come visit. Make it your place while she's gone.

Your parents should be handling this. They should treat her as a regular tenant. I would suggest that unless your sister cleans up her mess, takes her stuff with her or puts her stuff in storage, that you will not pay one months rent to your parents, so you can hire someone to clean out her stuff, Or maybe even suggest that your parents hire someone to do it, with the money you have already paid them,

You left out a pretty big detail. Have you talked to them and asked if you could at least consolidate the mess, stick it in some large plastic bags, and hide under the bed or in a closet? That seems reasonable and solves the problem.

If that doesn't work, though, you have no options. Even if you pay rent, it's still someone else's home and if they want the room kept the way she left it, that's their call.

maybe you should ask her to help you clean it out

Politely tell your sister that once she moves out. That there will be a cleaning company coming to remove all of the things that are left behind and tell her if she wants to keep anything that she needs to take those items.

Once she has moved out I'm sure you can find some young man with a pickup truck that will remove all the garbage for a day or two worth of pay.

The day AFTER she moves out pack her side of the room into cardboard boxes and place them somewhere in storage.

So she's leaving a mess. She's LEAVING. That's good news. Pack up her stuff and that's the end of that.

• .

so clean it up after she is out for good