Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 9 months ago

Is balding based on your father or mother?

The old saying goes is if your father balds early then you are going to as well. Is this true or false?

For a male

This is a common but completely false myth. First of all, there are many types of baldness, and not all are entirely genetic. However, this is usually discussed in the context of male pattern baldness. This is a genetic trait, but it's autosomal, meaning that it comes equally from both parents. The only difference is that baldness is dominant in males and recessive with greatly reduced expressivity in females - they only tend to get thinning hair rather than full baldness. Expression is also influenced by hormone levels.

my understanding is that hair is primarily maternal. It is not a simple always maternal.

• Zirp

probably not

Very few genetic traits come from one parent only

• Dixon

No, its definitely based on your head.

• geezer

You would normally look at the men on your mother's side of the family to see what your chances of going bald are .. but there are always exceptions to this 'rule' .. because genes can be dominant or resessive.

Most of the men on both my mother's and father's side of the family had 'early' baldness (usually starting at about 25) but I kept my hair until I was well into my 50's .. and my brother was bald at 28.

"Officially," the genes for male pattern baldness are sex-linked to the X chromosome. Which means you inherit it from your mother, not your father.

My family disproves that.

No male on my mother's side of the family has ever exhibited it. Every male on my father's side has.