Redecorating daughter's bedroom, she wants to paint walls hot pink?

She's 14 so I'm scared if I let her she will suddenly mature and hate it within weeks. Her room is very small and dark. Should I just over rule her and choose a sensible colour? I don't want to have to paint it again since she has so much heavy furniture which is a pain to dismantle and move. Also, I think she should be maturing and moving forward, not being like a little girl in her barbie house.

Paint one wall hot pink and 3 walls white with white door and baseboards.

Let her have her way, she won't live there forever anyway.

I hate houses with strange coloured rooms so I would say no just based on that :P but she is getting older and a hot pink room isn’t going to be something she likes for too long I wouldn’t imagine. I would either over rule it or tell her it will be staying that way even if she grows out of it.

• Mark

Oh, let her, but tell her "if you don't like the result, YOU will have to pay for any paint to repaint the room."

Stick with the pink, but a paler hue and suggest a hot pink bedspread instead.

i would let her paint it pink and if she dont like it make her keep it that way

• Kelly

I'd just do 1 wall the hot pink as an accent wall.

My kids were young when we moved into my husband's (step-dad) house and bless his heart he let 2 little girls pick their paint color in their rooms and put up with these ugly colors they picked out for years in his house. One room was pink everywhere and the other was some ugly purple color. He didn't care how ugly it was or what other people thought if it made them happy, it made them happy and them happy made him happy. A few years later they both wanted to repaint their rooms and were more sensible in their color selections because he made them do the painting.

Our own bedroom has a deep red wall but it goes well with the rest of the room.

• Eva

Paint 1 wall her desired color and the others much lighter.

Paint is cheap. Buy the paint, show her how to do it with drop cloths, painters tape, etc. Let her do all the work. Then if she does not like it in the future, she can do it all over again with another color. If she has to put some work into it she may not be so willing to go with a crazy color.

You could try doing an accent wall. Make one wall hot pink and let her see how she likes it.