Why are sons raised by a single mom so close to their mom?

• Merry

I’m a single mum of boys, my sister is married & has sons. This is what I see -

The bond & connection that my sister has with her boys is no less than mine except that her boys don’t seem quite as protective of her - they leave that up to their dad (my BIL).

My boys are more independent, financially savvy & helpful around the house. As a single mum I just can’t do it all myself & there is no one else (dad) to help... my boys have always had to step up (Gender roles go out the door!) & they are appreciated & respected for it. They are resilient & hardworking in a way that my nephews aren’t & what’s more - they fully recognise how hard I work.

My sons are my greatest allies - they have compassion, understanding & respect that is built on a comradery . They understand the challenges. Their perspective is a direct result of growing up in a single-mum household.

When you have only one parent you tend to be closer to that parent.

cause they spend a lot of time with her

Because that is their parent and main provider. If a father is not in the picture, or in the picture very little, the mother is the one there for everything and providing all of the support to the child. As they get older, their relationship and bong strengthens. A lot of times, a son will also feel he should be there and protect and love his mother, as he has watched her work hard to love and provide for him since birth. It makes sense to be close to someone raising you, the one who is there the most and supports you the most, you’re going to have a greater bond with.