Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Should my Ma be worried?

so my dad had always been verbally and physically abusive. My Ma works 2 jobs and my dad has been on disability since the 90s (he doesn't work). My Ma always used the bank card to pay the bills (my dad would get mad if she did/didn't pay the bills). My Ma doesn't have a bank account and all her money goes into my dad's bank account. (he is the primary account holder). then he would give her permission to use his card for food for work or food for the house. Now my parents are going through a separation and my Dad is saying he is gonna get my Ma for fraud saying that when my cousin and I lived there we never paid a bills (whereas I have proof on my bank statement that I paid a few bills for them) and my Ma used my dad's debit card without permission. He also said that she is going to have to pay alimony (between her 2 jobs she makes a total of $600 (guess); my dad gets monthly SSDI in the amount of $1,000) I told her that with the alimony he would have to pay because he makes more. He then said he was going to the bank and a lawyer. He talked to the cops but they said they couldn't do anything cause my parents are married and my Ma has legal right to use the money. My question is does my dad have a legal leg to stand on? I told my dad of she goes to jail for fraud I am never talking to him again (granted he is my Dad but we have never been close due to all the abuse I suffered as a kid from him. My Ma is one of my best friends and I'd be lost without her).

He can't afford a lawyer and chances are great this is all considered marital property anyway. She can't be charged with fraud for paying household bills out of the marital assets. Your dad's an idiot.

Probably not but she should get a lawyer just to be sure.

i think your mother should talk to a lawyer about it

• `

Mommy needs to contact a lawyer for advice.

Why would your mother go to jail? I don't see that she did anything wrong.

And i don't know if your dad would have to pay alimony at all... he doesn't make any money to speak of. And ask yourself how someone who gets only a thousand dollars a month is going to hire a lawyer? He can't afford one.

Your dad is full of wind and p***. Your ma has been victimised and is now getting out from under bully-dad's thumb. She should get a bit of legal advice to clarify what she's entitled to (whatever dad has to say about it). He's losing his free meal ticket now he's losing her and is just shouting a lot and trying to make her knuckle down again. Citizens Advice should be able to help your mother and she's got you to back her up so she doesn't crumble again under dad's verbal onslaughts. He's had an easy life as king of the castle for far too long so it's only natural that he's using everything he can to keep the status quo.

One would think that the chances of your mother going to jail are almost nil. Let your father waste his money - and she also needs to get a lawyer. Assuming that you abusive father will fail in his efforts, he will have to pay her lawyer fees. Tell them that. It isn't surprising that you are not close to your father! You can tell him that now that he is vulnerable (and getting more so with age) you will treat him in exactly the same way that he treated you when you were young and vulnerable. Good Luck!

Your mother is not in real danger, but she should be smarter at this point. She should start her own bank account and make all deposits into it. She should withdraw as much as possible from the joint account and put that money into her new account as well. She should also get an attorney and consult about how to handle this divorce. The attorney part should happen first. Like, immediately. Your father is going to get exactly what he deserves; nothing.

• Tavy

Your father is ignorant and stupid. They have a joint bank account and she can take out the lot and go. just because his name is first on the account makes no legal difference, The money belongs to both of them.

Time your Mother got a lawyer who will tell your father he is wrong on all counts.

You can't have a job without a bank account.....

• Tavy

Time she got her own bank account.