How to use PCIE to SATA card?

I swapped by HDD with a SSD.

I'd still like to use my old HDD so I bought a PCIE to SATA card (AsMedia ASM106) however I'm getting a blue screen error when I connect my old HDD to the PCIE to SATA card.

The card I'm using is the PCIe PCI Express to SATA3.0 2-Port SATA III Expansion Controller Adapter Card 6G

Windows10

• Fulano

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here...

Why do you need a PCIE to SATA adapter? Doesn't the motherboard have SATA ports? Or are they all just being used?

Are you trying to boot off of this drive that's attached to the PCIE card? Usually it's better to boot with drives that are attached directly to the motherboard. I don't know how things are, but last time I looked into these cards you had to install a driver to get it to boot from the PCIE card.

And final question, was this drive in a previous computer with a different motherboard, and now you're trying to re-use it in a new computer? If yes then it probably won't work, as Windows is attached to a motherboard and usually doesn't boot, if it does, it will ask to be re-activated with a new key (unless you had a retail license).

• keerok

The HDD worked with that CPU before. All you need to do is to attach it to one of the SATA ports on the motherboard. If you used the old connector to the new SSD. Just buy another SATA cable to connect the HDD to the second, third or fourth SATA port. Most motherboards have 4 SATA ports but the minimum I see is 2 so you should be safe without using that PCIE to SATA card.

If your SSD connects to the PCIE slot then it's better. Simply return the HDD to its old slot, connectors and all. You can dictate, I mean force the SSD to boot instead of the HDD in the BIOS setup.

To force the PCIE card into use, you might want to see if there are settings in the BIOS that disable the SATA ports (force to legacy mode? not sure).

My concern however is the protection of your files in the HDD. Experimenting with it might mess up your files. Make sure your backups are recent.