How do I teach my mother not everything she sees online is correct?

My mother is a bit of an old fart haha. Not really but she was born in '61 so she isn't old as of yet. However, she never really dealt with the internet most of her life which is insane to me. When she was 18, she left home and just traveled and did everything strictly by cash and kind of had a rough life. Now, years later, with me (I'm 21) she is finally exposed to the internet world. Not like she has a choice at this day in age. I recently just bought her the iPhone XR so she's having the time of her life exploring the webs. However, she doesn't seem to understand that not everything you read online is legit. I think she's under the impression that only official people can post things? Now the problem is, we're both very big obnoxious personalities so we always end up in an argument somehow when we get into these situations haha. She's very stubborn. Where would you even start off?

• keerok

Explain to her that not everyone has a printing press to make books and magazines but anyone with a computer or phone can post in the internet. Almost everyone nowadays have access to the internet so there.

Then again another sure fire way is to help her make a social media account with her phone and right after that, let her post something, silly if possible if not an outright lie then access it through your own phone to show her that the whole world can see it just to prove your point.

• Shay

Start by STAYING CALM.

Next, whatever she shows  you that you know is not true - FIND A SOURCE and show her the other side of the story for what she seen.  This MIGHT help her understand that she needs to pay attention to the SOURCE of the information.

You could also try to compare it to newspaper tabloids - you know the ones on the check-out lines at the grocery stores - hopefully she understands that much of those things are fabricated - right.  (you know the ones - national enquirer .....etc.)

you probably cant, she'll figure it out on her own

You don’t lol not much you can do