I will be away from my house for about 2 years and the house will be locked..?

What should I do to keep my window type air conditioner in good condition as the AC will not be used for a long time

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

install alarms,take out the AC,wrap it in heavy plastic,3 ft off the floor n case of a flood,consider having a trustworthy house sitter,,

or a 2 year rental agreement, why pay when you can get paid yourself by renting it out

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Take it out of the window and put it back in the box and close and lock the window.  It won't hurt the AC one bit.  It slows down those that want to gain illegal entry into your house.

Using AC is what wears it out.

Personally speaking, if you know you are going to be gone that long, Renting it out just seems the logical way to go...to students or something...so you make some money on a place you are not using anyways.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Remove the AC unit from the window and close the window. Remove the front panel from the AC unit and clean out the condensate pan so there isn't any moisture trapped in there. Set the unit aside and leave it be. It should be fine for two years.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

dfasfasdfsadfdasfdasf

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Remove it and store it indoors. Noting else you can do.

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Pulling it out of the window and wrapping it up in plastic, would be fine.You bigger issues will be your water lines. Being off for that amount of time, will and can cause many issues. Not only in the supply lines but in the drain systems. Houses need maintenance, without use, without a set of eyes that see when something is starting to happen, larger problems occur. I'd rent it, or even allow a friend to use the place, the old house sitter thing.

• Byrd
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you are going to leave your house closed up for two whole years you are going to have more than an ac unit to worry about.

• chris
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Remove it and store it in a dry location.

Be sure to keep it right side up!

If there are any holes where mice can enter it, fill them with steel wool.

Cover the unit with plastic if dust will be a problem.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Check the instructions for the unit. Make sure your insurance covers such a long period of absence.

• 2 months ago

If it's more than a couple of months you should really get a caretaker or maybe rent it out???

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.