If a person died November 25 and social check was deposited on December 2. Do you have to return the social security check?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

YES! Send them a copy of the death certificate; or keep collecting and hope they never figure it out or you will be locked up for Defrauding the Government!

• 2 months ago

a dead person is a dead person. who care about paperwork?.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, but there is a "death benefit" of sorts. Check with the SS people and they will help you set accounts straight.

• 2 months ago

How could he have deposited his ss check if he is dead? Oh - fraud. Someone else did. Of course that is fraud. Theft too. Stolen identification too. All felonies, theft over and in concert with the other charges. It doesn't take me or anyone else to tell you what you ought to have known - of course you should have returned the check - marked "deceased on x date".

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
    • Mike
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

MOST Soc Sec "checks" are being DIRECT DEPOSITED, so even if you had reported the death, it is likely the December 3rd deposit was made. They can reclaim the "unearned" payment.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

yes, call social security and ttell them of the death, you will get a check for $250 but you will be instructed where to return the check, however, most checks are auto deposit, so it will be reversed once you notify them, they will need a certified copy of the death certificate most likely, and they will need to know where to send the $250.

• angel B2 months agoReport

That's why I told my daughter if I get sick in the middle or end of the month, Tell them to keep me alive till the 3rd of the next month then pull the plug.

• 2 months ago

Yes. The check is for December and only the checks for months the person was alive can be kept.

• angel B2 months agoReport

Judith is right to a point, NOW SS received in Dec is for Nov.
      They use to pay ahead,the check in Dec was for January, if died November 25th they would take more than one month back.
      They finally changed to sending checks a month behind because they had many complaints it caused undo hardship.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

the person that died cant return it but someone else might be able to

• 2 months ago

Sadly yes you do have to return the check to the social security.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If the check was for the month of November, no, but if it was for December, then yes.

• Judith
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

No matter how you look at it, the check received in December isn't due and must be returned.

• 2 months ago

Yes...you return the money as the deceased person should not have been paid out...

• jake2 months agoReport

that's what the fridge is for honey...keep that person on ice until you get the full year.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.