If my Dad's mom, or my Mom's Dad die, and my parents inherit money, will that money count as regular income?

I'm wondering if they inherit say a hundred thousand or so, will that dramatically reduce their obamacare subsidies, and will they have to pay back tens of thousands at the end of the year? Thank you!

• RICK

Its not income

However it is an asset and assets also count against the ACA subsidies

• NA
      3 weeks agoReport

No they don't. The ACA calculation is income plus SSA benefits plus tax-exempt interest. Assets play no part.

No, inheritance is not taxed federally unless it's in the millions.

• STEVEN F
      3 weeks agoReport

There is NO Federal inheritance tax,. PERIOD. The ESTATE tax is paid before there is an inheritance.

Inherited money is not income. It's a gift from the dead person.

• Judy

If they ibherit something tax deferred like an 'IRA, 401K, or annuity. Most other things would not count..

It depends on what they inherit. Cash in the bank, house, stocks will trigger a tax if there is gain after the date of death.

Traditional IRA money, savings bonds or 401k money will be taxable.

Inheritance NEVER counts as income AT ALL.

There is no Federal inheritance tax, but some STATES have a state inheritance tax. which is SEPARATE from income tax.