What's a "cool" genre of music to be into?

I just heard an ad for some company in which they made a joke where a woman was shaming a dude for being "into smooth jazz", and pitched it as though that was the most embarrassing and uncool genre of music to like. My question is, what are some genres of music (particularly people in their late 20s or 30s) are into? What's the music genre that people in that age range would consider "cool"? In other words, what's the opposite of smooth jazz?

I understand music is extremely subjective, and music taste literally has no bearing on how "cool" (whatever that means) a person is. I just find it odd that an ad would call out smooth jazz dudes and act like everyone can agree that it sucks lol.

• 1 week ago

Rap is popular everywhere now except Orient

As a musician, I like it all. Jazz, Funk, R&B.  Hey, smooth jazz is fun to play. Enjoy what you like, not what others dictate. 

opposite of smooth jazz is free jazz.

smooth jazz's problem is that it is both obscure and unchallenging. perfect combination for not being cool. if you are going to be obscure you have to challenge your audience in some way, like free jazz. if you are going to be unchallenging, you've got to be accessible, like pop music.

"opposite of smooth jazz?"

My vote goes to Dark Electro/Aggrotech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5k4aLpKdjU

Youtube thumbnail

• John

The latest "hip" jazz was maybe acid jazz, likely still is. Before that was fusion. In jazz circles when people want to do the "I'm cooler than you" thing they usually go avante garde (which started in the 50's, actually) Sun Ra, Ornette Coleman, Pharoah Sanders. Music that you need to almost study and much of it you couldn't really call enjoyment. I'm listening to our jazz station that has a visitor show every Friday morning.  Last month was a lady like that - I get this and you DON'T, so there so there so there. You want an even better answer - Miles Davis was The Birth of the Cool and that has never gone away.

• Mike

I remember when my new job was in a building that had music piped into the elevators. I used to like to ride the elevators just so I could groove to the music.

De gustibus non est disputandum.  From ancient Roman times, we know that "there is no argument about taste".  DH and I are career professional classical musicians.  But last night, old Milcho Leviev and Don Ellis tracks were blasting here.  Tonight, might be MJQ (Modern Jazz Quartet . . ).  Russian choral music 2 days ago.  My perceived "coolness" and my wide taste in music, are in no way related.  I might *look* like your Gramma on her way to a knitting class - what is in side my head, you will never know unless I chose to share that with you.  This is convenient for escaping stultifying or boring situations - let people judge you by appearance, and you can use that to slip out.  If someone has to *put on* their veneer of what they THINK is cool, then they are empty inside.  You like what you like.  In relationships, you love who or WHAT  you love.  Artifice is pointless, and self-destructive - unless you are a professional actor who MUST practice that at work - but then need to shed that IRL.

There is a great article in today's (11/5) New York Times about the Korean tradition of assessing a situation  "reading the room".  You watch people and listen - and when in doubt, just shut up.

Who cares about what's 'cool'? Like what YOU like.

• Joel1 month agoReport

That's true, I just wonder, if I walk up to the average person aged 25 to 30 what "cool" music is, how do you think they would answer?

Being a real millennial like me, I'm sure you listened to the stuff I listened to in the 90s, 00s, and onward: dance pop, funk rock, punk rock, alternative, metal. Just listen to what you like. I couldn't give two shits if people judge me for still liking 90s dance pop. The boy bands and girl bands were the hot stuff and major inspirations for today's stuff which actually sucks in comparison. The funk rock and punk rock were also new genres. Lit, Nine Days, Gin Blossoms, Blink 182. This was our music like the Beatles, Bon Jovi, Pat Benatar, etc were our elders' music. 

Do what I unintentionally did and experiment with different music while drunk. I was drinking one day and suddenly the curiosity of what the hype over Frank Sinatra was all about. I had never listened to him or swing music in general before and now I've discovered an new taste in music which expanded into jazz from back then as well. 

• Joel1 month agoReport

Love me some Frankie/50's music in general!

• Jay

ska, garage rock, and old school happycore. but mainly garage rock