is it wrong to think people who cry when a pet, an animal, dies are silly and weird?

• Bee V2

Not necessarily wrong. You're entitled to feel however you want, even though I'd disagree.

Yes, it is. Pets are often just like family members.

• RP

Yes because losing a pet is like losing a family member.

It's not weird. You just don't understand what it's like to have a pet and lose them. 

hahaha are you mad about it? 

maybe youre silly and weird? and why are you concerned about them if you think it's silly or weird mind your business  it's that simple. 

h*ll no. pets can be like a family member and losing one hurts and anyone who has no feelings about it is just plain cold and doesn't deserve a pet.

No, definitely not, but there is no need to repeat the question.

Actually, one of the very FIRST things that attracted me to my soulmate, in one of our FIRST ever emails..? Was the beautiful, deeply moving way in which he described his love for his cat! And all the intense grief he'd felt, upon her disappearing! Like cats sometimes do... And I caught myself thinking: "wow, that's really beautiful... Imagine if someone could love me like he loved that cat! What a beautiful person he is..." <3

So yeah, I'm just saying... Not to make everything about my soulmate! Except it kind of is these days, anyway. Especially right after I've talked to him. And when I'm NOT talking to him. And.. always. :-P

Anyway, point being, though..? Is: love is beautiful! Love for animals is beautiful! Deep love, and a deep capacity, for deep emotions..? Is beautiful!! And if you can't understand it, because your soul is too shallow, and too shut off, by comparison..? Then that's just altogether too bad! For YOU.

• Cathy

I would think it weird if someone did not cry when their pet died.

It's normal to experience grief from loss of a pet. It's actually very common. There is a thing called disenfranchised grief. This means that the person's grief is not understood from others or is perceived from others as trivial or unimportant or unjustified or not acknowledged from society. Loss of a pet can fall into this category but other loses can trigger a grief response such as a divorce, moving, breakups, illness, death of celebrity even cessation from tobacco ( I was surprised to learn people grieve after they quit smoking but apparently they do)