How can I protect my device to shop online? ?

Some of the tech geek people said that use VPN(Virtual Private Network) as it's the best way you can protect all the devices you use to connect to the internet. 

I request to all tech professionals help us is it worth it or not ?? Any cheap VPN service suggestions?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Koci
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

I have no idea ask it to the bank

• 4 weeks ago

Use a VPN (but make sure it is a good one)

Don't use your actual bank account password. use paypal, etc.

Make sure its a legitimate website and not a scammer / hacker.

• 4 weeks ago

Don’t shop online it isn’t worth it the risk 

• 4 weeks ago

If your trying to hide your privacy from your internet service provider, then a VPN can help.  It's not full/fool proof, but better than nothing.  What happens then is whomever you use your VPN service thru can now see all your internet activity and they can sell that information or whatever.  Having a VPN service doesn't protect your privacy.

For anything online, your always taking some kind of risk.  Just like if you was to walk to a restaurant to order food or go to your local Walmart.  Your taking a risk that someone won't show up trying to pistol whip you or the other people around you.  The odds of either happing is very very low.

Being online is like being in public.  Just remember "Stranger Danger".  Don't trust anyone.  Believe only half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Yahoo Answers is probably the worst place to go for answers.  Lots of Trolls. 

When I do use a corporate VPN service other than my own VPS VPN, then I choose https://speedify.com

I use Speedify to increase my internet speed via Channel Bonding.  Meaning I can connect to multiple internet service providers to double, triple, and even quadruple my internet speed.  It's also A VPN service.

You can tunnel a VPN service thru another VPN service if you like, but that's going to probably be a little too technical for you. It requires you have your own VPS to do it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Use an opera browser. It has a built in VPN and protects against some ads and viruses.

• 4 weeks ago

The question stands, what are you trying to protect against?

Let's look at what a VPN is.  A VPN utilizes an protocol called IPsec to create a secure (all the important information is encrypted) connection between your device and the VPN "server".  Its primary use is to create what is known as an "Extranet" for a corporate network.  The other more nefarious use is for people to hide their Internet activity from the their service provider.  Service provider can be a corporate network, a school network, an actual Internet Service Provider or an open network - like when you connect to a WiFi network that is open, i.e. no password required, such as at a McDonalds.Let's look at what the risks could be -1. You manage to get a virus or malware or spyware on your device.  A VPN will not protect you from that.   Virus/malware/spyware gets on your device by something you intentionally do - such as go to a website in a phishing email.  Downloading bootlegged software/videos/music is a really good way to get a virus/malware/spyware on your device.  Again, VPN won't protect you from that.  

2. Someone breaking into your network.  The most common way that happens is via risk 1, where you download some trojan (virus) that creates a way for the bad guys to get into your device remotely and potentially controlling it.  This is how big companies  networks are compromised. An employee clicks on a link that takes them to a site that installed the trojan that enabled the hackers to get in. The employee could have been connected to the company via VPN, the hack still happened. Consumer routers have a feature called Network Address Translation (NAT) that essentially hides your network from the Internet.  It's not possible for someone to hack through a NAT unless they have assistance from the inside (i.e. a trojan or you have port forwarding enabled).

3. Someone snoops your wifi and using a packet sniffer they are able to capture all the data going to/from your device.  This is only practical if the WiFi network you are connected too is open.  A WiFi network that is using secure connections (requires you to enter a password) will encrypt (similar to a VPN) the connection between your device and the WiFi access point.  Data sent beyond the WiFi access point is in the clear, but the only way someone could access it is if they have physical access to the "wired" network.  It's possible that someone could offer a public WiFi service and snoop/record the data being sent/received from the people who use it.  If you're worried about this, then a VPN is the recommended way to protect yourself.  

Above being said, you need to determine what it is you're trying to protect.   A VPN may not be the answer.  The other thing to consider is what do you have that would be interesting enough for someone to go through the trouble to get it.    For the average consumer you should be primarily worried about risk 1, for that a VPN won't help.

Source(s): Many years experience working in the networking industry.
    • Akasha4 weeks agoReport

Some encrypted wifi routers are hackable without having a cable connected.  So don't say "but the only way...". 

• BigE
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I am not going to comment on VPN since that only secures your data stream/anonymity.

Your credit card still is processed by the seller (I had mine compromised 2 times by an inside job at a major retailer.  it wasn't compromised over the network but by another means during the transaction.)

We recently installed a virtual credit card application.  To the seller, it looks like a valid credit card but when the credit card company gets it, it knows how to remap it to your account.  So each transaction has a different number/date/verification number.  And you can rescind it the minute it is paid or just leave it if it is a recurring payment, if you trust the seller a bit more.

If it is compromised, you just have to cancel the virtual number and your real card is still valid as well as your other virtual cards.

Bad, you need to generate and manage the virtual credit cards from a trusted device, so you still need to have network and device security.

But for online shopping, it is a way to avoid problems.

• Dave
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

VPN doesn't protect your device. All VPN does is create an encrypted tunnel from your device to the VPN endpoint server. The only time you need to use this setup is when you are on a PUBLIC wifi. Outside of that scenario, you do not need VPN.

• Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

protect your device from what?

the best way to stay safe and secure on the internet is to only visit websites that you know are trustworthy. a VPN won't keep your computer safe from viruses, or malicious websites trying to get your info. a VPN is only useful for businesses, and for kids trying to bypass web filters. those "tech geek people" are idiots. you need an antivirus software to stop malware, and you need to only visit known trusted websites to avoid getting scammed. and no, trusting google or bing search results is NOT a good idea, as that is the #1 way to get scammed. if you search for something that doesnxt exist, or mistype a word, you will end up on a malicious website.

heck, you can follow a single link on Facebook that someone posted and end up somewhere horrible...

common sense is your best weapon of defense.

• Dave
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

VPN is much more commonplace then you think. EVERYONE who uses a PUBLIC internet connection should be using VPN.

• 4 weeks ago

The way the Internet works, anytime you send something to the Internet it is randomly broadcast out to every possible connection it can find on the Internet.  Hundreds of copies of the information blindly try to find their way to their destination.  They are helped alone by DNS information on the different servers that they go through.  And 99.9% of the time one (or more) copies of the information are successful in getting to their destination.

That is how the creators wanted the Internet to work.  They wanted it so that something should happen to any part of the Internet, information could still find a route to its destination.  It was designed by the military so that if the Russians took any part of it down, it would still work.

Unfortunately that means that your information is broadcast out to hundreds of different servers, any one of which could steal the information.  (It is encoded so that it is difficult, but it can be done.)

What a VPN does is to send out a broadcast with no information in it.  It tracks the packets until one of them finds its way to the destination.  It then makes a list of how it got there, and sets a secure network that always follows that path.  It then sends the information only once so that it follows that path and no one and nothing else can see the information.  Once the transfer is done, it releases this path.

That is how using a VPN protects your information.

Check with your ISP as many of them offer free VPNs  as part of their services.  Others also restrict VPNs so that you can not use one on their network.

• Akasha4 weeks agoReport

He is trying to explain packets work on a intranet and not a internet.  Either way, Original Poster, ignore this guy's post.  It'll just confuse you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.