DIY Bathtub mending?

We suffered a power outage and the house guest requested for lighting in the bathroom and a lit candle was provided and we all went to bed and forgot to put it out. The candle stick eventually fell on the soap holder which fuelled the fire and trickled on to the white coating of the bathtub and continued with a gentle burn until the smoke was noticed later. All safe but the bathtub got damaged by the candle stick fire. In a space of about 40cmx20cm, the white ceramic melted off exposing the fibrous part and a hole of about 7cms. Experts have advised that the damaged part is too large for mending but I want to try before I tear the bathtub out. Any advice on what I can use or steps to follow.

• zman

It's not ceramic, its fiberglass.  The ultra smooth surface is called gel coat.  You can fix it with a fiberglass repair kit, but it's a lot of work and hard to get it looking good unless you are into auto body work or something.

• glcang

Use a marine epoxy.

if your experts (have they have seen it?) say its irreparable what do you expect to hear here? stuff some newspaper in there and fill it with caulk?

What you could use to mend it depends on what the tub is made of. You didn't tell us that. If it caught fire, it definitely isn't ceramic.