help me out, if i get a popup telling me my windows license is about to expire, do i lose use of windows?

BE CAREFUL! Microsoft never has a popup says "your license is about to expire" BUT If you are on the developer edition that give you 30 days to test the new beta editions it will tell you that you have so and so days left of the trial. And the only thing it does after this time is lock your desktop background photo so it can't be changed.

Source(s): 20 Yeah of computer building and engineering + 20 Years Certified Ethical Hacking.

The answer to your question is dependent upon exactly where you are seeing this message.

So the big question is: Are you running a legal copy of Windows that you activated with a product key? You know if you are or not. If you do have a legal copy you activated, then what you are seeing is a scam adware pop up. Just ignore it.

Now, if you know you have an illegal copy, and are seeing the message that Microsoft sends to a user who is running an illegal copy, then for modern day versions of Windows, what will happen is (1) you will daily see notifications to activate your copy (2) many of the features and many of the apps will no longer function (3) you'll get black screens routinely during the day as windows "blacks out"

That is AD ware, telling you false information.  You paid for you license and it lasts FOREVER.

So do not click on any link or phone anybody. Nothing. Shut the window, out of that site, maybe restart the computer and then maybe go back to the site(not on a copy of the address out of the address bar as that address is B.S.

Try typing in your search engine what you are looking for and try a different link.   

If you are capable use a different browser?  I got IE,FireFox, Opera, Google Chrome & Tor; so if your issue happened with you using Edge or I.E., change the browser. ..and go to the same area again.

Look at the different browsers as like you owning  Different Cars, each will drive you to the same place on the web with different protections.  The controls are a bit different but essentially the same.   I use FF & GC mainly.  Hardly ever use IE.  Opera is new to me and it is a different way of doing it and not all sites are happy with its VPN or Tor's VPN

Or you could run Crap cleaner and see if it takes out the problem for you.

• keerok

In that case, the warning you get from microsoft windows isn't a popup but if you don't renew your license, some functions may be disabled and you get to see that warning more and more frequently.

That pop up is not from Microsoft Windows does not expire it's a fake pop up

You have gotten a virus. I don't think that is possible to expire a Windows license. Try contacting Microsoft with this: https://support.microsoft.com/# Quickly!

• George

Most popups are scams trying to steal from you or scare you into paying them for something you don't need. You buy Windows once and that licence does not run out, ever. Try to understand, the internet is full of criminals who are out to steal from you.

No, but when the operating system version becomes obsolete updates will no longer be available.