In your own opinion, what are the realities versus the myths of poverty?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

In poverty they feel money grows on trees.

• 3 weeks ago

There are too many to count.  And I've lived on both sides of the poverty and well-off lines, so I would know.

The Myths:  Education equals higher steady income.  Rich people get rich by stealing from poor people.  Poor people are poor because they deserve it.  Working hard equals more pay.  Women are paid less than men for the same work.  All work is equal in value.  Those who get ahead get ahead because they deserve it.

The Realities:  Unless you're in a school playground, there is no such thing as fair or unfair.  Nobody gets paid more to do an easier job.  Corporate butt-kissing, playing the system and who-you-know-who-you-blow are a cold hard reality.  The higher you climb on the corporate ladder, the quicker you can fall off.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The quality of life of today's poor is better than the middle-class had during the 1930s-1950's. There will always be poverty because we define it as a percentage of the population. Most people who are poor live in poverty by choice. The choose the tattoos, piercings, negative attitudes, and addictions that cause the poverty. They blame society for their self-created situations.

• 3 weeks ago

Reality is minimum wage isn't a livable wage. But adjusting minimum wage isn't going to make things any better. The cost of living will sky rocket. Automated machines will put many people out for big businesses to save money.

So.... my thing is, don't raise minimum wage. Leave it as is.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • VAA
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

Myth: Everyone on food stamps is someone with 6 kids, no job and lives in public housing or under a bridge.  Reality: Many senior citizens and those on a fixed income have to use food stamps to afford groceries.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.